Speakeasy-style bar opens in Fort Lauderdale
Bar Stache boasts classic cocktail menu by famed bartender John Lermayer
109 SW 2nd Ave., Fort Lauderdale;
barstache.com or 786-473-5779
Grand opening: Saturday, Nov. 16
VIP 7– 10 p.m.
GA 10 p.m. - 4 a.m.
Fort Lauderdale is finally taking cues from the popular speakeasy movement that has swept through many of the hippest cities in the country. The new cocktail bar, Stache, is hidden inside a non-descript building (pretty much a prerequisite for every nod to the Prohibition era) with a red awning leading the way back to the Roaring Twenties.
Miami-based bartender John Lermayer developed the beverage program, which bodes well for the venue. You may remember his work at the late Florida Room at Delano when the high-end bar became a frontrunner for cocktail culture before the craze took over South Beach. He currently runs the award-winning bar at The Regent Cocktail Club at The Gale.
At Stache, guests can expect live music by local acts such as Kitty Carmichael (aka Cat Shell), classic cocktails, craft beers, premium wine and sake, as well as tapas and desserts by Executive Chef Shashank Agtey.
The grand opening, Saturday, Nov. 16, starts with a private whisky tasting hosted by Ardbeg ambassador Trisha Cancilla, who will break down the complexity of the highly ranked single malt scotch (slightly sweet, peaty, and smoky).
Specialty cocktails created by Lermayer will also be served, including the Islay Old Fashioned (Ardbeg Uigeadail stirred with Vermont maple syrup, angostura bitters and finished with espresso bean and orange zest) and the Smoky Sherry Sour (Ardbeg 10, Oloroso sherry, fresh lemon juice and egg white, with Dale's bitters). Attendance is open to members of the Ardbeg Committee and guests who RSVP to email@example.com. Limited to 200 guests.
- Go Drink This: Sweet Tarts Cocktail
- All-star team brings 'Sweet Liberty Drink and Supply Company' to South Beach in December
- Go Drink This: White Cosmo
- Go Drink This: Bellini at Cipriani Miami
- Go Drink This: Spicy Roman at Set Nightclub
- Go Drink This: Katsuya Fresh at Katsuya South Beach
- All Hail the Cocktail: trends migrate to Miami from Tales of the Cocktail
- Go Drink This: The Alluring Gem
- Miami bar, brewery, lounge and nightclub openings, plus big plans for hotel nightlife
- Brickell's first pop-up cocktail bar 'Better Days' opens in an incognito space