Spa fancy: Uhma Spa
Free manicure! Free manicure! Free manicure!
By Kathryn Wexler
The lowdown: Brazilians Marco and Deborah Almeida are environmentalists whose enchanting spa stands in strict accordance with their principles: reliance on local resources, recyclable materials, organic everything and leaving behind as small a carbon footprint as possible. Uhma has three treatment rooms, showers, whirlpool, pedicure/manicure room with natural light and delightful gift shop with handcrafted luxe items. There's also a cocoon-like lounge with tree stumps (reclaimed from the ocean, of course), a wall of moss, floors of bamboo and stones and panels of American walnut. Plants get used bath water. Even old ceiling panels -- pre-remodel -- have found a home other than a landfill: "We chopped it and put it inside the walls for thermo-insulation," Marco Almeida said.
The vibe: Meditative, forest-like, welcoming, architectural.
The highlights: Massage here is taken very seriously; there's Thai, shiatsu, hot stones, hot shells and more. One of the most popular is the Tian Di bamboo massage, incorporating warm sticks and deep pressure to promote healing and alleviate toxins, $120 for 60 minutes. A rich body mask and wrap uses minerals and vitamins, $120 for 60 minutes. There's also water therapy and Jurlique facials.
Uhma Spa & Shop, 726 Sixth St., Miami Beach; 305-695-0996
- What is actually trending in swimwear for 2016?
- Summer Get-Fit Tips by Miami’s Celebrity Trainer
- Celebrities Love Makeup Artist Charlotte Tilbury. Find Out Why!
- 5 Summer Skin Tips from Miami’s Best-Kept Secret — Dr. Leonard Tachmes
- 9 favorite looks from Sunday's Miami Swim Week shows
- 9 favorite looks from Saturday's Miami Swim Week shows
- You won’t believe what people were wearing at Miami Swim Week
- 9 favorite looks from Friday's Miami Swim Week shows
- 9 Best Looks from Thursday's Miami Swim Week Shows
- Best Bridal Boutiques in Coral Gables