Spa fancy: The Spa at David Barton Gym
Work out those pecs -- and those knots.
By Kathryn Wexler
The lowdown: David Barton is a powerhouse in the gym world, with five eponymous gyms up and running, but for his first spa, he chose Miami Beach's Gansevoort Hotel. And it feels a little pumped up, too. The theme is Moroccan/Tunisian/dreamscape against a backdrop of thumping club music and dim lights. There are dressing room lights, cracked mirrors, black tile mosaics and huge walnut benches. Ten roomy treatment rooms are clean and rather masculine, but not cold. Spagoers share all facilities with gym members, which means this isn't your typical, hushed getaway. However, any spa service entitles you to use of the gym for the day (a $50 value) -- at least for now.
The 'hood: The Gansevoort is just north of the Deco hotel strip in South Beach. Valet parking for spa guests is discounted to $5.
The vibe: Dramatic, energetic, mysterious.
The highlights: The Barton Detox is a standard, signature massage that incorporates shiatsu, Swedish and stretching modalities along with a "spicy detox oil" ($150 for 60 minutes). The Mini allows you to direct your masseur to one specific area ($76 for 30 minutes). The Cougar Complete Anti-Aging Facial includes exfoliation, extractions, light therapy, mask and Freeze Serum, said to temporarily paralyze those oh-so-annoying forehead muscles ($275 for 90 minutes).
The Spa at David Barton Gym, Gansevoort Hotel, 2377 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 305-967-6789
Been pampered here? Leave a review!
- 5 Things You Need to Know About the New Givenchy Store at Aventura Mall
- What is actually trending in swimwear for 2016?
- Summer Get-Fit Tips by Miami’s Celebrity Trainer
- Preserve your pretty in spite of Miami's hot summer sun
- Knock-Off Handbags are Aplenty in Miami — But the Real Deal is Always Better
- Prepare to be blown away! Blo Aventura Blow Dry Bar to Open
- Celebrities Love Makeup Artist Charlotte Tilbury. Find Out Why!
- 5 Summer Skin Tips from Miami’s Best-Kept Secret — Dr. Leonard Tachmes
- 9 favorite looks from Sunday's Miami Swim Week shows
- 9 favorite looks from Saturday's Miami Swim Week shows