Soulfrito Festival returns with Nas and Don Omar
The country’s first urban Latin music festival is back with a bang after a seven-year hiatus.
Good news for those who fondly remember the Soulfrito Festival, which rocked Miami in the early 2000s: The country’s first urban Latin music festival is back with a bang after a seven-year hiatus.
The event that helped launch the careers of Latin pop acts Aventura, Kat Deluna, Wisin Y Yandel and Pitbull returns to South Florida after scoring a new five-year joint venture with Sun Life Stadium and the Miami Dolphins.
Soulfrito hits the Sun Life on Feb. 22, 2014, with two major headlining acts announced so far – Nas and Don Omar - whose selection emphasizes the synthesis of U.S. and Hispanic artistic expression so dominant on today’s pop-music charts.
Brooklyn rap king Nas’ debut album “Illmatic” is widely considered one of the greatest hip-hop works of all time, and he is tied with Kanye West and Eminem with six No. 1 albums on The Billboard 200. He was also ranked No. 2 on The Source mag’s Top 50 Lyricists of All Time list. Omar, the Puerto Rican “King of Reggaeton,” has won 10 Latin Billboard Awards, and his hit “Hasta Que Salga El Sol” won a Latin Grammy last year.
Nas will take the stage in support of his upcoming, as-yet-untitled 12th studio album, to be released sometime in 2014, and his Grammy-nominated 2012 effort “Life Is Good.” Omar will show why he’s nicknamed “El Rey” (The King) with lively performances of hits from his latest album, “Don Omar Presents MTO2: The New Generation,” plus new tracks from his upcoming album “The Last Don 2.”
Tickets for the Soulfrito Festival (price TBA) go on sale starting Nov. 22 through Ticketmaster. Additional performing acts will be announced at a later date.
Watch for “Soulfrito Sundays” special events during Dolphins home games at Sun Life Stadium to promote the festival with performances by local acts, plus several launch events during Art Basel Miami Beach.
- Go Drink This: Greenhouse Smash
- Wynwood's Electric Pickle turns 6, throws weekend-long anniversary bash
- French house, condo cinema, food, drink and fests!
- Wynwood's new piano bar pops up at Cafeina on Thursday nights
- Go Drink This: Mixology for Two, an interactive session
- 'French Tuesdays' returns to South Beach nightlife
- Go Drink This: Cocktails for Two
- Basement Miami introduces weekly party for Hump Day enthusiasts and hip hop aficionados
- From Brooklyn to Wynwood: The Greatest Day Ever comes to Miami in May
- Go Drink This: I Rock Ruff & Stuff