Soccer star Alex Morgan gets her kicks in Miami Beach
Alex Morgan wowed her fans (female and male alike, but mostly female) at two separate events in Miami Beach earlier this week. The soccer star, who currently plays for the Portland Thorns, is passionate about the sport and wants to spread the word about how empowering it can be for young girls. She wrote about the topic in her book series, The Kicks, and signed copies for attendees at McDonald’s on Washington Avenue Sunday night. “I drew a lot from my personal experiences when I wrote these,” the Olympic gold medalist said at McDonald’s on Washington Avenue Sunday as part of a collaboration with Coca-Cola. “It’s about what girls on a middle grade soccer team have to go through: balancing homework with teamwork and the respect they have to give each other.” No matter what happens, Morgan is sticking with the sport she’s been playing since she was 6. “I’m still young,” said the Californian, who turned 25 Wednesday. “I don’t really want to think about what I’m doing because it’s so unpredictable being a professional athlete. I would like to stay in the game commentating or continuing to develop soccer around the world.” On Monday, Morgan, a member of the U.S. Women’s Soccer Team, was at Scott Rakow Youth Center talking to kids about to maintain a healthy lifestyle and explain how she rose up the ranks. The message was clear: “Soccer is my passion,” she said. “I love watching it, playing it. It just makes me happy thinking about it.”
On Our Radar
- Spied around Miami: ARod, Katy Perry's ex, Shaq
- Million Dollar Listing Miami in trouble?
- Dwayne "The Rock Johnson filming football show in Miami
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Mangianello continue romance-fest in Miami
- Maria Menounos talks new show, book and dieting
- Is Star Island losing its luster?
- Keith Richards' daughter Alexandra spins for crowd
- Models & bottles: Leonardo DiCaprio does Miami Beach
- The Rock literally battles it out in new movie Hercules
- Mario Lopez parties on yacht in Miami Beach