Soccer star Alex Morgan gets her kicks in Miami Beach
Alex Morgan wowed her fans (female and male alike, but mostly female) at two separate events in Miami Beach earlier this week. The soccer star, who currently plays for the Portland Thorns, is passionate about the sport and wants to spread the word about how empowering it can be for young girls. She wrote about the topic in her book series, The Kicks, and signed copies for attendees at McDonald’s on Washington Avenue Sunday night. “I drew a lot from my personal experiences when I wrote these,” the Olympic gold medalist said at McDonald’s on Washington Avenue Sunday as part of a collaboration with Coca-Cola. “It’s about what girls on a middle grade soccer team have to go through: balancing homework with teamwork and the respect they have to give each other.” No matter what happens, Morgan is sticking with the sport she’s been playing since she was 6. “I’m still young,” said the Californian, who turned 25 Wednesday. “I don’t really want to think about what I’m doing because it’s so unpredictable being a professional athlete. I would like to stay in the game commentating or continuing to develop soccer around the world.” On Monday, Morgan, a member of the U.S. Women’s Soccer Team, was at Scott Rakow Youth Center talking to kids about to maintain a healthy lifestyle and explain how she rose up the ranks. The message was clear: “Soccer is my passion,” she said. “I love watching it, playing it. It just makes me happy thinking about it.”
On Our Radar
- Talking to Ana Maria in Novela Land star
- Chazz Palminteri tells his 'Bronx Tale'
- Athletes seen partying in Miami
- Is Miami Heat star Chris Bosh OK?
- Latin stars come together for Premios Lo Nuestro
- William Levy front and center at rum event
- Diana Nyad to re-create famous swim on stage
- Report: Rapper Vanilla Ice arrested
- Emeril Lagasse talks food, milestones and Florida
- Wyclef Jean, Barry Gibb among performers at Miami Beach centennial concert