Sneak Peek: Public House Opens on Miami Beach in October
New bar with surf culture vibe and classic cocktails set to open in South of Fifth area
The folks from Foxhole are feverishly working on their next drinking hole in South Beach. Make no mistake; the new bar is not for alley cats. Public House is more upscale, catering to the sophisticated residents living in the chic South of Fifth neighborhood.
Partners Angel Febres, Conrad Gomez and Jason Cochran closed Love Hate (423 Washington Ave.) earlier this month to start the reincarnation of the charming space. Renovations are underway to transform it from dirty dive to perfectly-designed, introducing a 1960s surf culture vibe. Think vintage Southern California with a twist of contemporary: weathered wood bookshelves and paneling, reclaimed brick, antique surfboards, Serape-covered banquets (Mexican blankets), Spanish tile work, HD TVs, and a pool table.
With music low enough for conversation, a smoke-free environment, and plenty of seating, their goal is to provide a space for meaningful connections without the typical distractions in party town.
Public House will offer a classic cocktail list ($10 - $12), featuring fresh ingredients and a well-rounded selection of spirits as well as craft beers on draught ($5). For the basic beer drinker, domestic brands will be available.
The partners say you can’t have a neighborhood bar if you go one day and it’s closed. They want Public House to be the start and the end of the night for regulars.
Hours: 5 p.m. – 5 a.m. daily.
Rules: No club music and no smoking.
Galena Mosovich is the lead writer for cocktail culture for Miami.com and The Miami Herald.
Opens first week of October
423 Washington Ave., Miami Beach
- 10 spring-inspired cocktails that will knock your socks off
- Bazi to launch new Shanghai Nights menu every Sunday
- The Raleigh hosts cocktail competition featuring The Famous Grouse
- Go Drink This: Tropical Hot Tea Toddy
- Mixologist Carlos Morales digs into the state of cocktail culture in Miami
- Go Drink This: Proper Rum and Coke
- Date night? Try Lique Miami
- Go Drink This: Evergreen Eggnog
- Dinner Lab returns to Miami December 18
- Go Drink This: The five best Miami cocktails of 2015