Sneak Peek: Public House Opens on Miami Beach in October
New bar with surf culture vibe and classic cocktails set to open in South of Fifth area
The folks from Foxhole are feverishly working on their next drinking hole in South Beach. Make no mistake; the new bar is not for alley cats. Public House is more upscale, catering to the sophisticated residents living in the chic South of Fifth neighborhood.
Partners Angel Febres, Conrad Gomez and Jason Cochran closed Love Hate (423 Washington Ave.) earlier this month to start the reincarnation of the charming space. Renovations are underway to transform it from dirty dive to perfectly-designed, introducing a 1960s surf culture vibe. Think vintage Southern California with a twist of contemporary: weathered wood bookshelves and paneling, reclaimed brick, antique surfboards, Serape-covered banquets (Mexican blankets), Spanish tile work, HD TVs, and a pool table.
With music low enough for conversation, a smoke-free environment, and plenty of seating, their goal is to provide a space for meaningful connections without the typical distractions in party town.
Public House will offer a classic cocktail list ($10 - $12), featuring fresh ingredients and a well-rounded selection of spirits as well as craft beers on draught ($5). For the basic beer drinker, domestic brands will be available.
The partners say you can’t have a neighborhood bar if you go one day and it’s closed. They want Public House to be the start and the end of the night for regulars.
Hours: 5 p.m. – 5 a.m. daily.
Rules: No club music and no smoking.
Galena Mosovich is the lead writer for cocktail culture for Miami.com and The Miami Herald.
Opens first week of October
423 Washington Ave., Miami Beach
- An oasis in the sky: rooftop garden highlights EAST Miami's Sugar bar
- Celebrate National Rum Day all month long at Repour Bar
- Miami's top 5 rooftop bars on Yelp
- 5 cocktails to get you ready for National Melon Day
- Dolce Italian at the Gale South Beach brings Italian fare and flair
- Become an expert behind-the-bar at Regent Cocktail Club's mixology class
- 5 places every pisco lover should try
- Where to go and what to order in Miami for National Rum Day
- 5 must-try Italian spots in Coconut Grove
- 9 occasions that call for a bottle of bubbly