Slice of Brazil comes to life on urban farm in Fort Lauderdale
In-the-know Brazilian expats and locals find a taste of home at Regina’s Farm in Fort Lauderdale.
1101 Middle St., Fort Lauderdale
When: Arrival time between 6 and 6:30 p.m. Saturday, but not every Saturday. Special events planned for Brazil World Cup matches.
Price: Suggested donation: $20 a person.
FYI: Free parking at Las Olas Worship Center.
Not far from downtown Fort Lauderdale, just off busy Broward Boulevard, you’ll find a place where chickens peck in the yard, kids play on tire swings and adults gather at picnic tables to feast on food cooked the old-fashioned way, on outdoor wood stoves.
If you’re Brazilian and nostalgic for the hearty food your grandmother made, you’ve come to the right place.
On Saturday nights, Regina Kátia Martins Rodrigues opens the gates of her fazendinha (little farm) in Sailboat Bend and transports her guests to an earlier, simpler time in her native state of Minas Gerais. Everyone is welcome, but she says about 90 percent of the guests are Brazilian.
Vats of moqueca de peixe (fish stew), chicken and okra, dried beef, rice, polenta, ribs, feijao tropeiro with red, black or pink beans and sausage, and much more bubble on stoves in the open-air kitchen, flanked by a Brazilian hammock, overhead pots and mini rolling pins hanging from the horns of a steer.
Rodrigues always starts with soup. As helpers pass her pão de queijo (cheese bread), her husband, Elizeu Silva, cranks out glass after glass of fresh sugarcane juice from an iron grinder and cane that a Homestead farmer delivers weekly.
Rodrigues’ limit is 120 people, and she doesn’t cook every Saturday night, so call to confirm. Reservations are a must. During the month of World Cup games, she and her husband plan to set up a plasma TV in the yard — but only for Brazil games.
- Chef Jeremiah & Roel Alcudia team up on gastroDobo, a 1-night Filipino pop-up in Wynwood
- GK Bistronomie bringing 'globally inspired Peruvian' cuisine to Wynwood
- Habit Burger opens in Miami, donates first-week proceeds to charity
- 'Chopped' champ Mathias Gervais opening modern Asian restaurant at The Setai
- Morimoto closing Sept. 30 in South Beach
- For the first time, a woman runs the kitchen at The Forge in Miami Beach
- Marion Miami restaurant gets set to open in Brickell
- Dinner Lab hosts Miami meal with gin pairings on Aug. 25
- Miami restaurateur Michael Schwartz faces federal lawsuit alleging employee mistreatment
- Wynwood Diner opens this weekend in Miami