Sketchy Miami has a lofty and creative aim -- to create portraits of everyone in Miami.
Have you ever had an artist create a portrait of your likeness? Not that guy at the Renaissance Festival who gave a you a huge head and a tiny body riding a horse. An art school graduate or someone with a blog about the art scene or thick black rimmed glasses. Yeah, real artistes!
From the scenesters behind the Beached Miami blog, a site dedicated to documenting all of Miami's many cultural offerings no matter how obscure, comes Sketchy Miami, a new project with the single goal of creating portraits of everyone in Miami.
Why take on an impossible task? Good question. According to the website, it is because "the relationship between portrait subject and portraitist is one of the strongest in the history of art." And in order to get folks in Miami excited about art, why not make them the subjects? Sounds like a good idea.
Participating artists include Flagler Art Space's Annie Blazejack, Elizanette Blanco, Carrie Sieh, Robby Campbell and many more. Visit the website to upload your own photo or if you want to create some portraits of your own. There are a lot of people in this town.
Sketchy Miami is hosting a party on June 30 at Lester's Cafe, 2519 NW Second Ave., Miami with music, art, pizza and beer. Visit Sketchy Miami at www.sketchymiami.com.
See and Do
- Miami Events - July 2015
- July 4, Kids Eat Free: Munchkin Fun's top picks June 29 - July 5
- Seven options for a date night in Miami with no time to waste
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - June 27-29
- Florida Supercon celebrates 10 years of geeking out
- Fourth of July guide: Where to watch fireworks in South Florida on July 4
- Munchkin Fun's top picks for family fun June 22-28
- Carlos Mencia headlines at the Ultimate Miami Comedian at Magic City Casino
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - June 19-21
- Five things you didn't know about DJ Irie