Sketchy Miami has a lofty and creative aim -- to create portraits of everyone in Miami.
Have you ever had an artist create a portrait of your likeness? Not that guy at the Renaissance Festival who gave a you a huge head and a tiny body riding a horse. An art school graduate or someone with a blog about the art scene or thick black rimmed glasses. Yeah, real artistes!
From the scenesters behind the Beached Miami blog, a site dedicated to documenting all of Miami's many cultural offerings no matter how obscure, comes Sketchy Miami, a new project with the single goal of creating portraits of everyone in Miami.
Why take on an impossible task? Good question. According to the website, it is because "the relationship between portrait subject and portraitist is one of the strongest in the history of art." And in order to get folks in Miami excited about art, why not make them the subjects? Sounds like a good idea.
Participating artists include Flagler Art Space's Annie Blazejack, Elizanette Blanco, Carrie Sieh, Robby Campbell and many more. Visit the website to upload your own photo or if you want to create some portraits of your own. There are a lot of people in this town.
Sketchy Miami is hosting a party on June 30 at Lester's Cafe, 2519 NW Second Ave., Miami with music, art, pizza and beer. Visit Sketchy Miami at www.sketchymiami.com.
See and Do
- Discover Miami's Little Haiti neighbhorhood
- He was told as a boy he'd have to go to a deaf school—but he grew up to help make the music to Hamilton
- Las Olas Art Fair takes over the streets of Fort Lauderdale this weekend
- Coral Gables Hispanic Cultural Festival takes over the streets of City Beautiful
- 5 reasons you should check out the Mammography Art Initiative in Wynwood this weekend
- 7 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Oct. 21-23
- Miami's cultural itinerary courtesy of Prism Creative Group - Oct. 16-31
- Find your happy place at the Modern Life Mindfulness Festival
- Grovetoberfest Celebrates Six Years of Craft Beer
- Can this Miami political roast Make America Laugh Again? Let's hope so