Skateboard Rodeo rolls into town
The annual Skateboard Rodeo returns with three days of contests and fun to raise funds for local and international charities.
Sept. 15, 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
Westwind Lakes Skate Park
6805 SW 152 Ave., Miami
More than 100 skaters will converge at Westwind Lakes Skate Park this Saturday for the third annual Skateboard Rodeo with $3,000 in prizes and sponsorships up for grabs. Watch as the intrepid skaters compete in events like the highest ollie contest, barrel jumping (let's see if this classic rodeo event works out for skateboards, too), stair contests and many more.
The event will be hosted by Chris Casey of FuelTV's Captain & Casey Show. The event wlll help to raise funds for Amigo Skate Charity, a local non-profit based in Miami that works locally to help provide at-risk youth with skateboard equipment, positive role models and summer skate field trips, as well as hosted food collections for the homeless, free skate instruction clinics and Christmas toy drives. Amigo Skate Charity also travels to Havana, Cuba twice a year to provide underprivileged children on the island with free skateboards, art supplies and music equipment. They have hosted skate contests, action sports tours and underground music events in Havana. They return to Cuba in mid-October with a group of skaters from across the globe with the purpose of bringing more skateboarding equipment.
Skaters and non-skaters alike will find plenty of entertainment: interactive street art, bounce house, live music, face painting, art exhibits and a massive game of dodge ball. Pick up a few baubles at 305 Green's “Punk Rock Flea Market" featuring a funky mix of original and eclectic finds, locally made products.
Organizer Rene Lecour is excited: "This year's Skateboard Rodeo will be the most epic action sports event to ever hit South Florida with 12 hours of bone-crushing mayhem fun. I think we are giving the Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey Circus a pretty good run for the 'Greatest Show on Earth.' "
See and Do
- Eight options for a date night in Miami with no time to waste
- Columbus Day Regatta enters 60th year on Biscayne Bay
- Free admission to Jungle Island for South Florida kids through September
- South Florida Farmers Market Guide
- Summer Fun: A guide to outdoor sporting options in Miami this summer
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - March 28-30
- SoundScape Cinema Series
- A where-to guide of new, cool places to drink and eat in Orlando
- Win Tickets To Dive-In Movie at The Standard
- Haring Miami exhibit spotlights iconic artist this weekend