Shoe designer's got no rules
Sam Edelman famed for sexy footwear
In the midst of Ultra, the Sony Ericsson and Funkshion, dozens of die-hard shoeaholics turned up last weekend to meet shoe designer Sam Edelman at Nordstrom in Aventura Mall. The father of three - formerly of Sam & Libby (that’s his wife)- was in town to promote his eponymous label’s Spring 2011 collection through a fan meet and greet. We got to chat up the part time Palm Beach resident who counts Jennifer Lopez, Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry among his fans.
Why do you like designing shoes for women? Women buy 10 to 12 pairs of shoes a year and the average guy buys one. Need I say more?
Is there a celebrity you’d like to see in your footwear? I love Rihanna, Ciara and Anne Hathaway, amongsmany others. Right now, my muses are the daughters of Patti Hansen and Keith Richards.
What inspired your new line? It was about combining runway and everyday, mixing and matching, playing on similarities and opposites and not setting limits. The collection exudes a “no rules approach to fashion” - you can be part cowgirl, part street girl in any combination.
How do you spend your spare time? I’m a family man and equestrian at heart, so I enjoy spending time with my wife, kids and horses. Our friends and family are really important to us, so we entertain at home a lot. Our oldest son, Jesse, is in the business and we hope he is the visionary for the future of all things Edelman.
On Our Radar
- Jose Fernandez fans get a chance to say goodbye today
- Miami mourns the loss of Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez
- Shane Battier and his annual Battioke brings out NBA stars
- Barbara Streisand coming to Miami area before the holidays
- Moet bottle made just for Miami champagne lovers
- Khloe Kardashian shows off her new boyfriend in Miami
- Kim Kardashian's midnight tanning session in Miami
- 'Selma' star David Oyelowo in Miami
- Donald Trump and Kanye West to Cause Traffic Kerfuffle in Miami
- Vogue with Madonna at Art Basel