Serena Williams: I like my curves
The local tennis champ talks to Harper's Bazaar about her romantic life and body image.
Serena Williams used to sing the sibling rivalry blues.
Forget her 27 grand slam titles, a No. 1 world ranking and a spot on women tennis' all-time greatest champions list; Serena wanted older sister's Venus' figure.
"I'm super-curvy. I have big boobs and this massive butt. [Venus is] tall and she's like a model, and she fits everything," Williams tells Harper's Bazaar, hitting newsstands July 20.
Growing up, she wanted to be just like Venus, 30.
‘‘I was 23 when I realized that I wasn't Venus," said the size-10 fashionista, 28.
Closing in on the big 3-0, the tennis star has come to terms with her body.
"Since I don't look like every other girl, it takes a while to be OK with that. To be different. But different is good."
Believe it or not, her freakishly toned racket whackers are a sore point.
"To this day, I don't love my arms. People want more fit arms, but my arms are too fit. But I'm not complaining.
They pay my bills."
The reigning Wimbledon champion has other issues -- in the romance department. Tough work schedules
were to blame for her recent split with rapper-actor Common.
"He didn't want the responsibility," said the Palm Beach Gardens resident. "It's really tough."
On Our Radar
- A Year in Pitbull
- Kylie and Kendall Jenner seen all over Miami for Art Basel
- Bon Jovi puts on private concert for SiriusXM in Miami Beach
- Sarah Jessica Parker gets her Basel on for the first time
- Cheech Marin is promoting a new ‘substance’ in Miami
- Heidi Klum: She’s an artist, too
- Fidel Castro is dead. Miami's Cuban exiles celebrate.
- Andy Cohen talks about celebrity gossip in latest book
- Report: An 'exhausted' Kanye West cancels tour, is hospitalized
- Singer Kesha in Miami for charity