Serena Williams: I like my curves
The local tennis champ talks to Harper's Bazaar about her romantic life and body image.
Serena Williams used to sing the sibling rivalry blues.
Forget her 27 grand slam titles, a No. 1 world ranking and a spot on women tennis' all-time greatest champions list; Serena wanted older sister's Venus' figure.
"I'm super-curvy. I have big boobs and this massive butt. [Venus is] tall and she's like a model, and she fits everything," Williams tells Harper's Bazaar, hitting newsstands July 20.
Growing up, she wanted to be just like Venus, 30.
‘‘I was 23 when I realized that I wasn't Venus," said the size-10 fashionista, 28.
Closing in on the big 3-0, the tennis star has come to terms with her body.
"Since I don't look like every other girl, it takes a while to be OK with that. To be different. But different is good."
Believe it or not, her freakishly toned racket whackers are a sore point.
"To this day, I don't love my arms. People want more fit arms, but my arms are too fit. But I'm not complaining.
They pay my bills."
The reigning Wimbledon champion has other issues -- in the romance department. Tough work schedules
were to blame for her recent split with rapper-actor Common.
"He didn't want the responsibility," said the Palm Beach Gardens resident. "It's really tough."
On Our Radar
- A look at Pitbull's style evolution
- The 5 most affordable ways to get around South Beach
- Draya Michele debuts Mint Swim collection in Miami, shows off curves at the beach
- What Adrienne Bailon wears to the beach
- Carlos Ponce: I would never run for president
- Emma Roberts: I need to visit Miami more often
- Pitbull makes Miami look good in 'Sexy Beaches' video
- 7 cool booths to visit at Agenda Miami
- 5 ways Colombians in Miami celebrated their independence day
- 5 Things We Loved at Premios Juventud