The Secret History of Love
San Francisco's Sean Dorsey Dance brings The Secret History of Love, a tale of gay love through the ages, to Miami.
As we argue over the rights of gay marriage, lurching from progress to setbacks like the recent law in North Carolina, a dance theater troupe from San Francisco brings a reminder of how far our culture has come in accepting gay relationships. Sean Dorsey Dance’s The Secret History of Love chronicles the often hidden history of gay love and relationships, based on two years of interviews and archival research, digging up advertisements for queer speakeasies during Prohibition and love letters from hundreds of years ago, and real life tales of love struggling with but surviving bigotry and oppressive social norms.
The Miami performance is courtesy of FundArte’s annual Out in the Tropics festival, which brings a range of GLBTQ dance, performance, film and theater here each year. This year’s festivities include a panel discussion with Dorsey and Miami GLBTQ artists at 7 p.m. Thursday, and a Thursday series of Pedro Almodovar films May 17, 24 and 31. And don't miss Cuba's Teatro el Publico in their version of Caligula, on June 14.
The Secret History of Love is at 8 p.m. Saturday at the Colony Theatre, 1040 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach. Tickets are $20, $15 for students, at the box office or www.fundarte.us.
See and Do
- Accessible Art: Fort Lauderdale art exhibit spotlights 10 female artists, CIFO teams up with Museum of Fine Arts Boston, and MOCA on WPBT Ch. 2
- More gifts pour in as Pérez Art Museum Miami prepares to open
- Bookleggers brings Literary Death Match to Bardot in Miami
- Abstract painter Larry Poons brings art to Miami nature center in January
- Lunch with Lydia: Daughter of Wynwood pioneer carries on father’s mission
- A prelude to Art Basel for locals
- New World Center's Mini-Concerts return with "Yoga Night at the New World Symphony"
- Lucky You! 5 brings art to the people on Nov. 9
- CircX burlesque and cabaret troupe celebrates 10th anniversary
- Miami Performance Festival features fire and lace.