Save the Date: Sunny Isles Beach
One date in Sunny Isles is sure to put the laid back in laid back.
By Aurora Rodríguez
Whether you're a grad student at FIU's North Campus looking to take that special someone out for more than the usual dinner and drinks or a newcomer to the North Miami Beach area, a modern, luxe beachside city nearby eagerly awaits to entertain you.
There's more to Sunny Isles Beach than the now-defunct Rascal House and a gazillion "when did that monstrosity go up?" hotels and condos. In fact, the scenic area known as the City of Sun and Sea is also home to some of the most delicious restaurants and laidback pristine beaches well north of people-packed South Beach.
Start your date by taking your sweetie for a walk along Pier Park by the famed Newport Fishing Pier (16501 Collins Avenue). Built in 1936, the Pier is a half-mile-long attraction designated as a historic site and is perfect for sightseeing on a bright summer day (just don't forget to pack up your SPF). The park also offers access to the beach, where you can cool off after your stroll. At just $6 on weekdays and $10 on weekends for all-day parking, you should still have enough cash to spend on fresh seafood and cool drinks at Pelicans on the Pier.
Another place to hydrate and fill up is The Porterhouse Bar and Grill. Take advantage of their 3-for-1 happy hour on domestic drafts, well drinks and house wines every day from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. Once you sip a few glasses of white vino accompanied by their creamy spinach dip, you'll be amped up and ready to challenge your date to a few rounds of pool on the restaurant's bright red pool table.
After happy hour (or hours) accompanied by cocktails, it's time to dance off those extra pounds at Coconuts Bar & Grill located at the Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort. Complete with a festive tiki bar featuring an array of frozen cocktails and live Caribbean-inspired sounds playing by a live band every night, it's the perfect way to end a summer date night in Sunny Isles.
Got your own Sunny Isles Beach date night suggestions? Leave a review!
See and Do
- Ayikodans offers a prayer in the form of dance for its sixth season at the Arsht Center
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Feb. 5-7
- Skateboards and jazz collide this weekend at YoungArts campus
- Actors’ Playhouse Company turns out a dazzling version of the musical ‘West Side Story’
- Latest touring version of the Tony-winning musical 'Book of Mormon' is a delight
- ‘The Nether’ raises provocative questions about the dark side of the web
- Slow Burn Theatre Company’s ‘Violet’ is a musical about the scars we carry
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - Jan. 29-31
- 6 reasons Miami's drive-in theater is better than Netflix and chill
- Miami Events - February 2016