Save the Date: Sunny Isles Beach
One date in Sunny Isles is sure to put the laid back in laid back.
By Aurora Rodríguez
Whether you're a grad student at FIU's North Campus looking to take that special someone out for more than the usual dinner and drinks or a newcomer to the North Miami Beach area, a modern, luxe beachside city nearby eagerly awaits to entertain you.
There's more to Sunny Isles Beach than the now-defunct Rascal House and a gazillion "when did that monstrosity go up?" hotels and condos. In fact, the scenic area known as the City of Sun and Sea is also home to some of the most delicious restaurants and laidback pristine beaches well north of people-packed South Beach.
Start your date by taking your sweetie for a walk along Pier Park by the famed Newport Fishing Pier (16501 Collins Avenue). Built in 1936, the Pier is a half-mile-long attraction designated as a historic site and is perfect for sightseeing on a bright summer day (just don't forget to pack up your SPF). The park also offers access to the beach, where you can cool off after your stroll. At just $6 on weekdays and $10 on weekends for all-day parking, you should still have enough cash to spend on fresh seafood and cool drinks at Pelicans on the Pier.
Another place to hydrate and fill up is The Porterhouse Bar and Grill. Take advantage of their 3-for-1 happy hour on domestic drafts, well drinks and house wines every day from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. Once you sip a few glasses of white vino accompanied by their creamy spinach dip, you'll be amped up and ready to challenge your date to a few rounds of pool on the restaurant's bright red pool table.
After happy hour (or hours) accompanied by cocktails, it's time to dance off those extra pounds at Coconuts Bar & Grill located at the Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort. Complete with a festive tiki bar featuring an array of frozen cocktails and live Caribbean-inspired sounds playing by a live band every night, it's the perfect way to end a summer date night in Sunny Isles.
Got your own Sunny Isles Beach date night suggestions? Leave a review!
See and Do
- Free Train Rides, BBQ Fest & Giveaways: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks Mar 29 - Apr 5
- Video: #HowTo Miami Beach
- Easter Eggstravaganzas, Free Yoga & Munchkin Gardening: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks Mar 23-29
- Saturday event provides bikers of all levels a safe path in Miami
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - March 20-22
- Miami Open expands entertainment options with top chefs, models and Olympians
- Billy Porter plays Colony Theater this weekend
- St. Patty’s Day Fun, Free Play, Spring Break Prep & Legos: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks Mar 16-22
- Photo exhibit at UM Art Gallery explores life on the Texas High Plains
- 13th Annual Orchid Festival arrives this weekend