Sandra Bernhard: not full of Glee
Comic disses TV hit
Onstage, Sandra Bernhard is the quirky comic who became famous "kidnapping'' Jerry Lewis in 1983's The King of Comedy. Offstage, she's a straight-laced mom raising a 12-year-old daughter, Cicely. Together they enjoy "smart and funny'' TV shows like The Simpsons and The Golden Girls.
Definitely not Glee. "I think its trashy," says Bernhard, who performs Friday and Saturday at Prelude by Barton G. in Miami. "They jump all over the place. One minute you should be singing in the glee club and the next thing you're threatening some other girl and sleeping with somebody's boyfriend." "I shouldn't say that," Bernhard adds, "because I should be on that show."
Bernhard, a staple of the late'80s, early '90s South Beach social scene when she dated Madonna pal Ingrid Casares, says her new nightclub act is a "conglomeration'' of shows she's done in New York City the past two years. "I describe myself as an entertainer," says Bernhard, 55. "Like Judy Garland and Frank Sinatra and Liza Minnelli, I take the best of all the genres and mix them up the way all the best performers did -- but with postmodern, rock-and-roll, cabaret edge. I put them all through my own special blender."
Her audience: "hip, gay people, straight people." "The common thread is sophistication and intelligence," she says. "We all think alike politically."
Sandra Bernhard performs 8:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Prelude by Barton G. at the Adrienne Arsht Center in Miami. Dinner and show $110 for preferred seating, $45 show only. Call 305-357-7900, www.preludebybartong.com or www.arshtcenter.org.
On Our Radar
- Five reasons to not give up on the Miami Heat
- Boo Madea star Tyler Perry: I don't like Halloween
- Florida has better taste in Halloween candy than most other states, says survey
- Phil Collins: 'I don’t like Miami particularly'
- DJ Irie gets put in the hot seat this Saturday at his own celebrity roast
- King Tide floods the streets of South Florida
- Jose Fernandez may get his own Miami street
- Orange is the New Black star gets her drink on
- Where to get hurricane updates without a TV
- Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo at “Before the Flood” screening