Sakaya Kitchen's Richard Hales opening Midtown Chinese restaurant, Blackbrick
Hales' spin on traditional and modern Chinese
Richard Hales, of Sakaya Kitchen and Dim Ssam a gogo fame, is about to birth another unpretentious Asian restaurant, this time a Chinese place called Blackbrick. Located in the former ACME Bakery Space, the 50-seat restaurant will "straddle the line between traditional and modern, with Hales showcasing the classic training and innovative technique that has made Sakaya Kitchen such a hit, all while embracing the soul of Chinese cooking," says the official spin. But Hales, a renegade of sorts, doesn't necessarily play by his own official spin. “At Blackbrick I’ll draw on inspirations from my travels as well as from traditional Chinese dishes and China’s regional cuisines," he says, adding “As with Sakaya Kitchen, I’ll definitely be using modern tools and techniques to deliver the right flavors and textures,” adds Hales, “but the focus will always be on honoring a dish’s ingredients and history.”
In other words, expect dishes such as house-made soy milk pancakes with smoked pork, leek flower sauce and pickled mustard greens; cornmeal congee with wok fried marrow bones; a selection of hand-made, hand-cut noodles; a full dim sum menu of traditional favorites and contemporary selections; house-made Chinese charcuterie; expect a number of nose-to-tail dishes from whole lamb and pig, house-made tofu and vegetarian selections, the latter inspired by local farmers. All sauces will be made from scratch and the restaurant will feature a custom-made wok station. An all-day five-course menu for $35 per person will be available and family style a la carte plates will range from $5 - $12.
A fall opening is anticipated. Stay tuned.
- Ex District chef, James Beard nominee Horacio Rivadero appointed executive chef at Tantalize
- More tacos on the way: Wapo Taco opening in Coral Gables
- DB Bistro Moderne Miami goes casual for the summer
- Sugar Factory American Brasserie to celebrate its Miami opening in June with Kylie Jenner
- Amy Kalinowski is the new pastry chef at Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
- PBS Chef Irie's May 7 Hidden Kitchen collaboration
- The Local Craft Food & Drink launches new menu at open-to-public party tonight
- Morimoto South Beach launches $65 'Greatest Hits' menu
- Vikram Katoch appointed new executive chef at Bianca
- Restaurant-season slowdown hits Miami