Rumor milling: Thomas Keller not opening in Miami
Then again, we said the same about Trader Joe's but . . .
Not quite Newton's Third Law of Motion but with every new month comes a new or regenerated restaurant rumor. The one we're tackling today involves Thomas Keller and Azul, which has been spinning around in the vast rumorsphere for a while now. At one point we heard the stellar chef was planning to open in the Mandarin Oriental space as a Bouchon or Bouchonesque restaurant. Then we heard he wasn't. And now we hear that the entire plan (or lack thereof?) has been scrapped and that, categorically, no, Thomas Keller is not opening at Azul or anywhere in Miami for that matter.
Despite that, some Azul insiders have reported to us that they've seen people walking around the space with blueprints, none which had TK emblazoned on them, but still. We asked the Mandarin's spokeswoman Alexandra Wensley, who has offered us absolutely nothing over the past few months and true to her ways, again offered us, and we quote, "nothing to share at this time." We also contacted Keller's people, who took a bigger page out of Wensley's book and offered us nothing, too, not even a reply. Yay, nay or maybe? Verdict: seems highly unlikely at least this week.
Update: The Keller camp has spoken and, alas and unfortunately, it's true. Or not true. Thomas Keller is not opening in Miami. Keller's Communications and Media manager Gerald San Jose told us yesterday that, "Yes, that is correct. There are currently no plans of future expansion to Miami." So there you have it.
- Coya Miami opening Thursday, February 19
- 3.5 star review can't keep 27 open; Broken Shaker, restaurant shut temporarily at Freehand
- Wynwood Diner opening in March
- Chef Jeremiah opening in Aventura Mall & joining Grant Achatz's restaurant rez system Tock
- BREAKING: Hedy Goldsmith leaving The Genuine Hospitality Group, relocating to LA
- STK's 'more accessible' sibling STK Rebel opening in downtown Miami
- Crumb on Parchment alum Nicole Votano tapped as Fooq's executive chef
- Chef Art Smith is giving away #101GayWeddings at James Royal Palm during #SOBEWFF
- Lucky Strike bowling lanes on Miami Beach closes; Trader Joe's moving in?
- Armadillo Cafe to open in Boca Raton