UPDATED: La Goulue is now closed--The Rumor Mill: Bal Harbour's La Goulue on way out, Stephen Starr in
Is Stephen Starr poised to expand his South Florida presence with a second restaurant at Bal Harbour shops?
Is this the Summer of Stephen Starr? Could be. After we recently told you about the Philly-based restaurateur's plans to open a restaurant in the YoungArts building on Biscayne, we are now hearing that the expansion may include yet another restaurant at Bal Harbour Shops in addition to its already wildly successful Makoto.
An off-the-record source tells us, "Starr is looking to expand his presence in South Florida," and is aiming for the space currently known as La Goulue, which we are hearing is on its way out due to a lease dispute.
We contacted La Goulue's Gregory Delaunay, who says, "Right now it's too early to speak about it, but as soon as I have a clear answer, I will let you know."
Starr's reps are equallycagey, but our source tells us, "Starr is definitely looking to get into the La Goulue space. They want to be major players in Miami and double their restaurants."
As for the La Goulue team, they tried to expand futilely by investing in the now-defunct Dore in the space formerly known as David Bouley's Evolution at The Ritz Carlton, South Beach. Got that? Stay tuned.
Update August 4: La Goulue is now closed. The end.
- Former Miami restaurant owner Joshua Woodward pleaded no contest Friday to attempted murder for trying to induce a miscarriage
- Jose Garces planning Miami restaurant
- Update: CANCELED Brooklyn's Pies 'n' Thighs pops up at the Mondrian
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz is out at the Raleigh Hotel on South Beach
- Raleigh on the sale rack and Restaurant Michael Schwartz out?
- Luther Campbell hosts dinner party at Mignonette on November 11
- Chef Jeremiah & Roel Alcudia team up on gastroDobo, a 1-night Filipino pop-up in Wynwood
- GK Bistronomie bringing 'globally inspired Peruvian' cuisine to Wynwood
- Habit Burger opens in Miami, donates first-week proceeds to charity
- 'Chopped' champ Mathias Gervais opening modern Asian restaurant at The Setai