UPDATED: La Goulue is now closed--The Rumor Mill: Bal Harbour's La Goulue on way out, Stephen Starr in
Is Stephen Starr poised to expand his South Florida presence with a second restaurant at Bal Harbour shops?
Is this the Summer of Stephen Starr? Could be. After we recently told you about the Philly-based restaurateur's plans to open a restaurant in the YoungArts building on Biscayne, we are now hearing that the expansion may include yet another restaurant at Bal Harbour Shops in addition to its already wildly successful Makoto.
An off-the-record source tells us, "Starr is looking to expand his presence in South Florida," and is aiming for the space currently known as La Goulue, which we are hearing is on its way out due to a lease dispute.
We contacted La Goulue's Gregory Delaunay, who says, "Right now it's too early to speak about it, but as soon as I have a clear answer, I will let you know."
Starr's reps are equallycagey, but our source tells us, "Starr is definitely looking to get into the La Goulue space. They want to be major players in Miami and double their restaurants."
As for the La Goulue team, they tried to expand futilely by investing in the now-defunct Dore in the space formerly known as David Bouley's Evolution at The Ritz Carlton, South Beach. Got that? Stay tuned.
Update August 4: La Goulue is now closed. The end.
- DB Bistro Moderne Miami goes casual for the summer
- Sugar Factory American Brasserie to celebrate its Miami opening in June with Kylie Jenner
- Amy Kalinowski is the new pastry chef at Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
- PBS Chef Irie's May 7 Hidden Kitchen collaboration
- The Local Craft Food & Drink launches new menu at open-to-public party tonight
- Morimoto South Beach launches $65 'Greatest Hits' menu
- Vikram Katoch appointed new executive chef at Bianca
- Restaurant-season slowdown hits Miami
- Caviar launches Miami delivery service from Blue Collar, Miami Smokers and more
- BBQ night at Harry's Pizzeria