The Rumor Mill: Bal Harbour's La Goulue on way out, Stephen Starr in
Is Stephen Starr poised to expand his South Florida presence with a second restaurant at Bal Harbour shops?
Is this the Summer of Stephen Starr? Could be. After we recently told you about the Philly-based restaurateur's plans to open a restaurant in the YoungArts building on Biscayne, we are now hearing that the expansion may include yet another restaurant at Bal Harbour Shops in addition to its already wildly successful Makoto.
An off-the-record source tells us, "Starr is looking to expand his presence in South Florida," and is aiming for the space currently known as La Goulue, which we are hearing is on its way out due to a lease dispute.
We contacted La Goulue's Gregory Delaunay, who says, "Right now it's too early to speak about it, but as soon as I have a clear answer, I will let you know."
Starr's reps are equallycagey, but our source tells us, "Starr is definitely looking to get into the La Goulue space. They want to be major players in Miami and double their restaurants."
As for the La Goulue team, they tried to expand futilely by investing in the now-defunct Dore in the space formerly known as David Bouley's Evolution at The Ritz Carlton, South Beach. Got that? Stay tuned.
- Unlimited tacos and beer for $18.21 debuts at Toro Toro
- New kitchen leadership at Bocce Bar
- Mignonette oyster bar in Miami's Edgwater slated for Aug. 1 opening and we have the menu!
- Jerry's Famous Deli on South Beach is now closed
- Now open: N by Naoe, Kevin Cory's new Brickell Key prix fixe lunch spot
- Ibiza club and Señor Frog's opening in South Beach?
- Umami Burger in Miami Beach closed; Blue Collar has new chef de cuisine; Phillip Bryant leaves Swine
- Khong River House experiments with new menu items
- Closed for "summer vacation": La Maison Miami
- CATCH is closed and allegedly moving to a new Miami location