UPDATED: La Goulue is now closed--The Rumor Mill: Bal Harbour's La Goulue on way out, Stephen Starr in
Is Stephen Starr poised to expand his South Florida presence with a second restaurant at Bal Harbour shops?
Is this the Summer of Stephen Starr? Could be. After we recently told you about the Philly-based restaurateur's plans to open a restaurant in the YoungArts building on Biscayne, we are now hearing that the expansion may include yet another restaurant at Bal Harbour Shops in addition to its already wildly successful Makoto.
An off-the-record source tells us, "Starr is looking to expand his presence in South Florida," and is aiming for the space currently known as La Goulue, which we are hearing is on its way out due to a lease dispute.
We contacted La Goulue's Gregory Delaunay, who says, "Right now it's too early to speak about it, but as soon as I have a clear answer, I will let you know."
Starr's reps are equallycagey, but our source tells us, "Starr is definitely looking to get into the La Goulue space. They want to be major players in Miami and double their restaurants."
As for the La Goulue team, they tried to expand futilely by investing in the now-defunct Dore in the space formerly known as David Bouley's Evolution at The Ritz Carlton, South Beach. Got that? Stay tuned.
Update August 4: La Goulue is now closed. The end.
- From 1826 to 50 Eggs: Danny Grant to helm 'two new concepts' for John Kunkel's growing culinary empire
- Exclusive! Top Chef Masters' Patricia Yeo is Khong River House's new executive chef
- Japanese speakeasy BLK Orchid opening at Townhouse Hotel Oct. 17
- Coyo Taco Wynwood opening mid November
- Kris Wessel's A.I.R. near Lincoln Road closing after less than 2 months
- Miami Smokers opening retail shop & deli in Little Havana
- Chef Jeremiah's swinesational P.I.G. 5 lineup announced!
- Tickets now on sale for LUCKYRICE Festival's 5th Anniversary by Bombay Sapphire East and hosted by Masaharu Morimoto
- The Rumor Mill: Brad Kilgore leaving J&G Grill? Danny Grant out at 1826? Taperia Raca & more
- Giorgio Rapicavoli’s Taperia Raca sold, closed