The Roots and Q-Tip
Hip-hop legends The Roots and Q-Tip will perform for free at the Ice Palace on Saturday, Sept. 25.
September 25, 2010
1400 N. Miami Avenue
Note: When you RSVP make sure to mention you were referred by MIami.com
What's better than seeing the best performers in hip-hop for free? What about seeing them play behind one of hip-hop's most accomplished rappers and producers?
Thanks to Hennessy, South Florida fans will be treated to this and more (free drinks!) at the Hennessy Artistry event at the Ice Palace in Miami.
Leading the bill: Philadelphia-collective (and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon house band) The Roots. The group that redefined how hip-hop was performed live, they recently dropped their ninth full length LP, How I Got Over, in June. September 21 marks the release of Wake Up!, their collaboration with John Legend featuring covers of '60s protest songs. And if that weren't enough, they also plan on putting out an album with legendary Stax musician Booker T. Jones by year's end.
Not to be outdone by The Roots, co-headlining the event will be none other than Q-Tip, the legendary frontman of A Tribe Called Quest. An accomplished rapper, singer, producer and actor, he's known to perform both solo material (like "Vivrant Thing" and "Breathe and Stop") and Tribe classics (like "Bonita Applebum" and "Electric Relaxation") at his shows.
The stacked lineup also included Philly queen Eve (remember her?). Although uncredited, she provided the memorable female rap verse on The Roots' first mainstream hit, "You Got Me." Australian blue-eyed-soul singer Daniel Merriweather, Kate De Luna, and DJ D-Nice will also take the stage. The event will be hosted by the Miami Heat's own DJ Irie.
So how do you get into the show? Go to the Hennessy VIP website and fill out the RSVP form. (Make sure to include that you were referred by Miami.com.) If it asks for a CODE number, please enter 358. This is a limited, private event, so the sooner you RSVP, the more likely you'll be able to go.
Music in Miami
- Dweezil Zappa honors his father's legacy in South Florida concert
- Rick Springfield brings tour to South Florida
- Amtrac Takes Over Basement This Friday, August 28
- The Mowgli’s play two free pop-up sets on Miami Beach on Monday
- Life In Color Early Bird Tickets Are Now On Sale
- Concert Review: Ariana Grande's tour stops in South Florida for an energetic homecoming
- Do Not Sit On the Furniture Kicks Off Independence Day Weekend with Nora En Pure
- Willy Chirino and Carlos Oliva deliver the Miami Sound this Saturday at the Arsht Center
- David Crosby performs songs old and new in Miami
- EC Twins Take Over E11EVEN for Cam Con's Official After Party