Rookie of the Year
Watch your back, Jonas Brothers, there's a new tween sensation in town and her name is Tavi Gevinson.
Yes, I’m a slave to fashion. I can scour the pages of all the glossies for hours on end and worship the ground Anna Wintour walks on, but if there’s one thing that trumps my trend obsession — it’s my kids.
So when I stumbled upon Chicago suburb-based tween fashion blogger Tavi Gevinson, I was tickled pink. Best-known as the “Style Rookie,” grey-haired (dyed, of course) Gevinson’s two-year-old site — www.thestylerookie.com — covers all-things fashion and more with the whimsical touch of an adolescent.
Gevinson describes herself as, “A tiny 13-year-old dork that sits inside all day wearing awkward jackets and pretty hats." She also says, "I wear batman capes and oversized hats. Scatter black petals on Rei Kawakubo's doorsteps and serenade her in rap. I wish I was Daria but I get too excited about things like candy to be deadpan all the time.” Precious, no?
But it’s thrift-store-loving Gevinson’s musings on designers that are both addictive and insightful for me, in particular. She’s been a front-row fixture at recent New York and Paris Fashion Weeks (her dad chaperones her) and has been featured in a plethora of publications such as New York Times, Teen Vogue and Pop Magazine. Even cooler? She was the inspiration for Rodarte's line at Target.
I hope you enjoy the quirky blogger’s cutting fashion commentary as much as I do. Besides, where else can you read the words “cooties” and “couture” in the same breath?
- Miami Dade College Offering Fashion Program
- Pantone Color of the Year: Radiant Orchid
- David Beckham Bodywear for H&M
- Sock Subscription for Men
- Backstage at Wildfox Swim Show during Miami Swim Week
- Miami Swim Week 2013 - Day 4 Recap
- Betsey Johnson unveils new swimwear at the Betsy Hotel on Miami Beach
- Urban Outfitters Opening New Store in Miami
- Major Sale at The Fontainebleau This Week
- Learn How to Sew, Miami!