Rocco’s Tacos ready to party in Fort Lauderdale
Rocco Mangel’s newest taco emporium and tequila bar is now open on Las Olas Boulevard.
James Graber, 26, and his wife Ashleigh, 25, drive 15 miles nearly every week from their Fort Lauderdale home to Boca Raton to have dinner at Rocco’s Tacos.
“We try our best to never miss a Tuesday,” said James Graber, who especially enjoys the steak tacos and tableside guacamole.
Rocco’s Tacos and Tequila Bar Las Olas , in the former home of Smith & Jones, serves lunch, dinner and a late night menu daily.
The regular menu offers dishes like molcajetes, an authentic baked fajita served in a lava rock bowl from Mexico, or chile rellenos, battered and fried poblano chiles.
The restaurant also features more than 12 specialty margaritas and customers can create their own drink concoctions.
On weekends, owner Rocco Mangel, 37, surprises the guests at his restaurants with a tradition he created called the “tequila dance,” where he walks along the bar top pouring free tequila shots to his customers. The restaurant also features a DJ or a live mariachi band at each of its South Florida locations.
Mangel has traveled to Mexico City, San Miguel and Guadalajara on eight occasions since July 2007 when he started planning the first restaurant.
“At least 70 percent of the contents in the restaurant have been brought back from Mexico,” said Mangel, adding the restaurant imported everything from the elaborate chandeliers and tables to the bar tops and chairs.
Mangel started thinking about the idea for Rocco’s Tacos when he managed MoQuila’s Mexican restaurant in Boca Raton.
“I believed strongly in the Mexican restaurant concept,” said Mangel, saying he wanted authenticity. “I’m not interested in a Mexican restaurant with American flare.”
Since opening its first location in December 2007 in West Palm Beach, Rocco’s Tacos has attracted some fame. Kelly Ripa, for one, mentioned the restaurant on her show, Live with Regis and Kelly on Fox, in June 2010.
Amelia Gonzalez contributed to this article.
- Juvia's Japanese sibling Sushi Garage opens in Miami's Sunset Harbor 'hood
- Miami.com Experience - Exclusive Rooftop Dinner at Cleo South Beach on Feb. 23
- Dale Talde's top 10 things to eat in Miami
- Pisco y Nazca brings Peruvian to the 'burbs
- 9 excellent Eggs Benedicts at Miami and Fort Lauderdale restaurants
- South Beach sushi pop-up Prey puts invasive species on the menu at 1 Hotel & Homes
- Miami restaurant review: Celeb chef restaurant goes adrift in South Beach
- The List: 10 best Miami foods with Batch Gastropub's Kevin Danilo
- Miami restaurant review: Upper East Side gets a Pinch of creative cooking
- 2 new Coral Gables restaurants opening this week: Trust & Co. and Ichimi