Robin Williams mourned at South Beach hotel
Where 'Birdcage' was filmed
The late, great Robin Williams shined in most roles he took on. The Oscar winner could seamlessly move from comedy to drama. In the 1996 ' La Cage aux Folles' remake, 'The Birdcage,' he won over many local fans as Armand Goldman, the owner of a South Beach drag club whose son wants to impress his fiancee's conservative parents.
The Carlyle Hotel, located on Ocean Drive and 13th Street, was the setting for Williams' character's home that he shared with his partner, draq queen Albert (Nathan Lane), as well as the site of the flashy club. The two men also filmed in other spots around town and at the beach.
Mourners gathered at the Carlyle Monday night, after learning of Williams' apparent suicide."Many times, I mean every night, we get the question, 'Is this where they filmed 'The Birdcage?' and of course it is," manager Damian Besil told WSVN.
Williams had other ties to the area. In March 2009, while on tour for his one-man show, "Weapons of Self-Destruction," he was hospitalized at the University of Miami's Miller School of Medicine after complaining of shortness of breath. Roughly a week later, Williams underwent surgery for an aortic valve replacement in Ohio.
On Our Radar
- What Adrienne Bailon wears to the beach
- Carlos Ponce: I would never run for president
- Emma Roberts: I need to visit Miami more often
- Pitbull makes Miami look good in 'Sexy Beaches' video
- 7 cool booths to visit at Agenda Miami
- 5 ways Colombians in Miami celebrated their independence day
- 5 Things We Loved at Premios Juventud
- You'll Never Guess Where 'The Rock' Calls his Favorite Place to Eat in Miami
- How to keep getting Miami.com on Facebook
- Pokemon Go Invades Miami and here’s our cheat sheet