Robin Williams mourned at South Beach hotel
Where 'Birdcage' was filmed
The late, great Robin Williams shined in most roles he took on. The Oscar winner could seamlessly move from comedy to drama. In the 1996 ' La Cage aux Folles' remake, 'The Birdcage,' he won over many local fans as Armand Goldman, the owner of a South Beach drag club whose son wants to impress his fiancee's conservative parents.
The Carlyle Hotel, located on Ocean Drive and 13th Street, was the setting for Williams' character's home that he shared with his partner, draq queen Albert (Nathan Lane), as well as the site of the flashy club. The two men also filmed in other spots around town and at the beach.
Mourners gathered at the Carlyle Monday night, after learning of Williams' apparent suicide."Many times, I mean every night, we get the question, 'Is this where they filmed 'The Birdcage?' and of course it is," manager Damian Besil told WSVN.
Williams had other ties to the area. In March 2009, while on tour for his one-man show, "Weapons of Self-Destruction," he was hospitalized at the University of Miami's Miller School of Medicine after complaining of shortness of breath. Roughly a week later, Williams underwent surgery for an aortic valve replacement in Ohio.
On Our Radar
- Jennifer Lopez to perform free concert at Bayfront Park in support of Hillary Clinton
- Which Miami neighborhood will be the next to be ‘Art-Washed’?
- Five reasons to not give up on the Miami Heat
- Larsa and Scottie Pippen to divorce after 19 years
- Boo Madea star Tyler Perry: I don't like Halloween
- Florida has better taste in Halloween candy than most other states, says survey
- Phil Collins: 'I don’t like Miami particularly'
- DJ Irie gets put in the hot seat this Saturday at his own celebrity roast
- King Tide floods the streets of South Florida
- Jose Fernandez may get his own Miami street