Miami-based DJ showcases his original music at Mynt nightclub
Miami has its share of great house DJs, from Oscar G to Ivano Bellini to Cedric Gervais. But Robbie Rivera is up there with the most successful DJs from the Magic City - he's got residencies both here and in party-mecca Ibiza, and his label Juicy Music is world-renowned. In fact, his annual Juicy Beach party during Winter Music Conference at Nikki Beach is one of the top events of the week each year, drawing thousands upon thousands of people. Catch him Thursday, Nov. 11 at Mynt, performing two to three hours of choice house-music tracks in support of his "Rock the Disco" tour. Rivera talked to Miami.com about the show.
What's the concept behind your Rock the Disco Tour?
It's very simple - I did a track called "Rock the Disco" early this summer, and it was remixed by David Guetta and Laidback Luke, and it really caused a lot of damage in clubs worldwide. But what's unique about it is that every single track I'm playing is produced by me. So it's only my music.
So for the entire night you're playing, it's all original Robbie Rivera music?
Yep, and it's working so far. I play a lot of my hits, a lot from the "Closer to the Sun," and "Star Quality" albums, and I have a lot of exclusives that I play.
How would you describe your sound?
Let's see...tough, sexy, energetic house music.
What's next for you in the studio?
Well, I started working on an album for 2011, and so far I'm really, really pumped-up about it, because it's gonna be only anthems, nothing for radio, just club bangers, some with vocals, some not. Going back to where I started - just underground stuff. If it translates to radio, great, but that's not the focus.
You still live in Miami, right?
Yeah, I'm still here, man, I live in Key Biscayne and have been here since '92. I love it here - I live here and in Ibiza, where I have a summer house. So I live half a year here and half a year there.
Have you started planning for Winter Music Conference?
Yes sir, I already have the lineup done for Juicy Beach 2011, at Nikki Beach, and it's so good and very unique - it's got unexpected things that you normally won't see at Juicy Beach.
- Serge Devant Talks Club Culture in the U.S.
- Dance-music pioneer Jellybean Benitez talks about Madonna, EDM, Studio 54 before event at PAMM
- DJ Tracy Young hosts the Official 'Rebel Heart' Album Release Event at Story in Miami
- Nicole Moudaber brings her sounds to Space on Saturday
- Dada Life brought high-energy show to Miami
- Afrojack warms up the Fourth of July partying with a set at Mansion this Thursday
- Mark Kneppers of Kraak & Smaak in Miami to spin at Bardot
- 'Tis the season to relax with Miami DJ YSL's summer playlist
- Borgore comes to Mansion
- Armin Van Buuren leaves his mark at Miami Music Week 2014