The Road to Calle
Photographer Claudia Calle presents her solo exhibition The Road to Calle: Republic of China.
Colombian photographer/mixed media artist Claudia Calle presents The Road to Calle: Republic of China, a solo exhibition that showcases a series of images exploring China's often controversial participation in globalization including its issues with mass production and copyright. The opening will coincide with Wynwood’s monthly Second Saturday Art Walk on Saturday, October 9, 2010 from 7 to 11 p.m. and is free and open to the public.
“I create from a spontaneous place where, even if only for a brief moment through the lens, I can expose the wondrous nuances of my surroundings,” said Calle. “My passion for traveling and studying social and cultural phenomena pushes me to capture the essence of people and things in front of me. Experimenting with photography, painting and non-conventional materials allows my canvas to expand, making all traditional techniques or rules disappear.”
Calle’s Republic of China series was selected by International Photo Awards among 15,000 submissions spanning 103 countries. The pieces, which fuse photography with collage and acrylic on wood, were further hand-picked by renowned curator Adriana Teresa to appear in the IPA “Best of Show” Exhibit in late-October at Splashlight Studios, New York.
A beer sampling courtesy of Samuel Adams and DJ sets by Aramis (Poplife), Mr. Pauer (Fabrika) and Kiko de Gallo (Groovalizacion) will set the tone at Luis Perez Galeria / Awarehouse with the official after-party taking place at Grand Central.
The Road to Calle: Republic of China
Opening reception Saturday, October 9 from 7 p.m.-11 p.m.
Luis Perez Galeria / Awarehouse, 550 NW 29th Street, Miami
www.claudiacalle.com or www.awarehousemiami.com
See and Do
- Miami public spaces are getting a makeover with these upcoming projects
- 12 Things You Didn't Know about Jean-Michel Basquiat
- 5 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Sept. 23-25
- Live the nostalgia of ‘¿Qué Pasa, USA?’ this Saturday
- 4 Fitness Events in South Florida for Gym Rats
- Everglades gets funky with Wynwood benefit
- Wade, Mourning and other celebs attend opening of Haitian photography exhibit in Wynwood
- 6 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Sept. 16-18
- 10 Tours Of Miami That Are A Must
- Miami's cultural agenda courtesy of Prism Creative Group - Sept. 16-30