Rio grand: Gilberto Gil plays the Fillmore
Ladies and gents, please turn on your cell phones and video cameras: Gilberto Gil wants you to share his concert with the world.
By Rayme Samuels
One of the forefathers of Brazil's MPB and Tropicália musical movements and the nation's current Minister of Culture, Gilberto Gil is spending this summer promoting his latest album, Banda Larga Cordel, and this Saturday, July 5, he makes a stop at the Fillmore.
This won't just be another night of Gil's unbelievable samba, reggae and rock. What makes this concert different from any other you'll experience this summer is that audiences are eagerly encouraged to use digital cameras and cell phones to record, film, edit and rebroadcast their versions of the show online. And for those who want to keep going after the concert, the Fillmore Catalina Hotel is hosting an after party.
The Grammy award-winning musician has grown from his bossa nova upbringings to persistently challenging the way the world thinks about music. "Because I spent four years at the Ministry [of Culture] without writing, I recently began to write again. Perhaps that is the reason for this desire to express myself in a most personal way through my songs and the music," Gil said of his creative motivations. The lively Gil hopes to engage his Miami fans and provoke the kind of interaction that's symbolic of today's era of social networks and global dialogues.
"I must always attempt to turn on the engine of creativity," Gil said with a captivating smile. At 65 years old, he doesn't seem to be interested in slowing down.
Gilberto Gil performs July 5th at 8 p.m. at the Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater, 1700 Washington Ave, Miami Beach. For tickets and more info, call 305-673-7300 or visit www.ticketmaster.com.
See and Do
- Munchkin Fun's top picks for family fun Oct 12-17
- Diner En Blanc Returns to Miami for Second Straight Year
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Oct. 9-11
- 15 things to do with the kids Oct 5-11: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Oct. 2-4
- Miami Events - October 2015
- Wizard World Comic Con takes over the Broward Convention Center
- 15 things to do with the kids Sept 28 - Oct 4: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Ultimate guide to luxury seats at Miami’s Sun Life Stadium
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Sept. 25-27