Rick Springfield delves deep
'80s heartthrob/writer wants to cruise with you
Rick Springfield's biography, Late, Late At Night (Touchstone, $26), isn't what you may think: It's not a chronicle of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.
The Jessie's Girl singer, 61, wasn't living the Mick Jagger dream. In the wryly funny and often touching book, the Australian native offers a candid look at a lifelong battle with depression. Or what he calls "Mr. Darkness," aka Mr. D. Who would have thought? The '80s heartthrob had everything: a No. 1. song, a role on the megapopular soap General Hos- pital and legions of fans, who were no doubt ignorant about Springfield's personal tra- vails.
"Because of the way I came onto the scene with a big summer pop song and soap opera, I've been viewed as kind of a one dimensional, shiny bright guy," he says from a Nashville stop on his book tour. "But that was not the case." Since puberty, Springfield realized something wasn't quite right.
"The real revelation to me was the constant path of depression," he says. "I used to think I was just having bad days. Once I heard the word ‘depression' I started to kind of thread it together."
He is well aware of the irony. "I got Tom Cruise-d the other day, with some guy saying, ‘C'mon, you're banging all these chicks, you're famous, what do you got to be crying about?' '' he recounts. "I was like, ‘Dude, you obviously didn't read the book.' ''
But life isn't all dark these days. He'll take his cruise to the Bahamas out of Miami Nov. 15 with special guest Kevin Cronin, from REO Speedwagon.
What happens at sea stays at sea.
"It'll be fun, drinking, cruising, great music, great weather,'' Springfield says. "What harm is that?"
Go to www.rickspringfieldcruise.com for more info.
On Our Radar
- Shane Battier and his annual Battioke brings out NBA stars
- Barbara Streisand coming to Miami area before the holidays
- Moet bottle made just for Miami champagne lovers
- Khloe Kardashian shows off her new boyfriend in Miami
- Kim Kardashian's midnight tanning session in Miami
- 'Selma' star David Oyelowo in Miami
- Donald Trump and Kanye West to Cause Traffic Kerfuffle in Miami
- Vogue with Madonna at Art Basel
- Kourtney Kardashian in Miami with Scott Disick
- Kanye West's five weirdest (and greatest) stories of 2016 (so far)