Red Bull Wake of Fame
The Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Complex will be transformed into a playground for wakeboarders this Friday.
As exciting as it is to watch competitive swimming, I can guarantee that water sport enthusiasts will be on the edge of their seats for the event taking place at the Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Complex this Friday. Red Bull, in its ongoing effort to align itself with all things sporty, extreme and slightly crazy, is bringing its Wake of Fame challenge to South Florida. The three outdoor pools, typically reserved for breast strokes and high dives, will be converted into a sort of playground for the industry's top wakeboarders and wakeskaters.
Thanks to the pioneering winch System 2.0, riders can be afforded a continuous ride on a straight-line cable system that eliminates the need for a boat, making it possible for locations such as the Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Complex to be used for competitions. The three outdoor pools will be linked together by features lke hand rails, sliders, a quarter pipe and a kicker, providing plenty of opportunities for awesome tricks a la skateboard park.
A group of the top wake athletes have been hand selected to compete in this innovative new format competition. Twelve wakeboarders and six wakeskaters, which include the likes of Red Bull wakeboarders Parks Bonifay, JD Webb, Adam Errington and wakeskater Brian Grubb, will look for the best line in hopes to advancing to the semi finals (wakeboard only) and to the finals which will be a heat of three athletes in each discipline. Each athlete will be judged on execution, difficulty, style, amplitude and overall composition of tricks in their run.
Red Bull Wake of Fame is a free event and open to the public, but seating will be limited and on a first come first server basis. Gates open at 6 p.m. with an athlete meet-and-greet at 6:15 p.m. with the event starting at 7 p.m.
Red Bull Wake of Fame
Friday, Dec. 3, 6 p.m. meet and greet with athletes, 7 p.m. event begins
Ft. Lauderdale Aquatic Complex
See and Do
- Our favorite Miami stories this week
- 6 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - July 29-31
- 6 Best Places to Take Miami Newbies
- 5 things that will always remind you you're in Miami
- 5 reasons why mango season is the best time to be in Miami
- 5 kinds of guys you'll wind up meeting in Miami's dating scene
- Friends of The Underline hosts #PokemonGoUnderline social media contest
- So you think you can dance? Prove it on National Dance Day with the Miami City Ballet
- 7 things you must taste when in Miami
- 9 Instagram-Worthy Photo Opps in Miami