Red Bull Flugtag Miami deadline is Sept. 1
Red Bull’s annual Flugtag event takes a dip in Miami’s Bayfront waters in November, deadline for entry is Sept. 1.
Flying manatees, a wrestling ring of luchadores, a huge rubber ducky - those are just a few of the wacky themes from Miami's 2010 Red Bull Flugtag. The event that challenges teams to fly homemade aircrafts off a ramp 30 feet above the tepid waters of Biscyane Bay - that is, after they have performed a ridiculous skit related to the theme of their awesome craft - returns for a new round of flights and follies.
Miami will once again experience the pleasure of witnessing the mayhem that is Flugtag (German for "Flying Day") on Nov. 3, a wise choice for the event organizers considering its last visit was during the dog days of summer (July 10, 2010). Teams that wish to compete this year had better get in gear, deadline for entry is Sept. 1. Only forty 5-person teams will be selected to take the plunge for Flugtag and their mission is to not only create a craft that can float on the air, if only a few yards out from the ledge, but to wow the judges with their creativity, choreography and engineering ingenuity.
If you are now brainstorming ingenious ideas for your own flugtag team, keep these rules in mind: All aircrafts must be entirely human-powered – no motors or stored energy such as slingshots or catapults – and cannot exceed 450 pounds (including the pilot). All crafts must be less than 30 feet wide.
Got it? Now, just visit redbullflugtagusa.com and register.
Reb Bull Flugtag 2012
Applications due Sept. 1
Event takes place November, 3 at Bayfront Park, 301N. Biscayne Boulevard, Miami
See and Do
- Our favorite Miami stories this week
- 6 Best Places to Take Miami Newbies
- 5 things that will always remind you you're in Miami
- 5 reasons why mango season is the best time to be in Miami
- 5 kinds of guys you'll wind up meeting in Miami's dating scene
- Friends of The Underline hosts #PokemonGoUnderline social media contest
- So you think you can dance? Prove it on National Dance Day with the Miami City Ballet
- 7 things you must taste when in Miami
- 9 Instagram-Worthy Photo Opps in Miami
- 10 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - July 22-24