Recycling Urban Truths
Artist Ann Wizer makes her creations from items recovered from Asian garbage dumps.
If Art Basel confirmed your cynical view that most art is just steaming piles of -- er, junk, then indulge yourself with the works of an artist who uses real steaming junk piles as her media. Ann Wizer employs garbage dump scavengers across Asia to collect single-use, non-biodegradable plastic packaging that languishes in the world's dumps, which she then converts into works of art.
Fort Lauderdale's Upper Room Gallery will host an opening reception for Wizer's work this Saturday. Her art shows how overdevelopement, urbanization and waste have caused the erosion of natural habitat, loss of traditional architecture and poor health to locals. Her show was previously exhibited at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manila.
Her pieces include "The Garbage Chair," a one-of-a-kind piece of functional art made entirely of hand-cut plastic packaging. Her work "Chickenjoy!" is a series of bas-relief chickens all made from used egg cartons. She also creates the framing for all of her paintings, photographs and mixed-media pieces using recovered urban waste.
The artist is currently working in Asia and won't be attending the show.
Opening reception, Saturday, Dec 11 from 7-10 p.m. Upper Room Gallery, 1200 E. Las Olas Blvd, Fort Lauderdale; 954-828-1505.
See and Do
- 'Frida: Unmasked' explores the life of famed artist Frida Kahlo
- New World Symphony releases Wallcast concert series schedule for 2014-2015
- Stage Door explores the songs of the 1960s with ‘What’s New Pussycat?’
- Raw intimacy in Carlota Pradera’s ‘Bare Bones’ at the Miami Theater Center
- Miami choreographer Rosie Herrera turns life in a Cuban cabaret to art for ‘Show.Girl.’ with Ballet Hispanico
- Pérez Art Museum Miami: 10 features you won’t want to miss
- Accessible Art: Art Basel sets attendance record, color in time and space with Carlos Cruz-Diez, and the Bakehouse Art Complex builds first public metal-casting foundry
- Accessible Art: Arsht Center exhibit fuses fashion and art, a call for artists at Segafredo, and the Wolfsonian-FIU presents Rebirth of Rome
- LA artist Kenton Parker elevates the 'selfie' with solo exhibition at Primary Projects for Art Basel
- Big brands descend on Miami Art Week to expose emerging artists to the public