Real Housewives of Miami star leads AIDS walk
Taboos are not verboten on Real Housewives of Miami and co-star Alexia Echevarria busted another as grand marshal of Sunday’s 26th annual AIDS Walk Miami.
“Even with my kids — I have young men — you talk about protection, but you don’t want to talk about infectious diseases. You want to talk about getting pregnant. Birth control,” said Echevarria, who believes AIDS Walk is “a great opportunity” to discuss the perils of HIV and AIDS with her two sons. Echevarria and sons Peter and Frankie Rosello joined more than 1,000 others on 122 teams who registered for AIDS Walk Miami Sunday.
Echevarria, 46, said that when she was invited to be this year’s grand marshal, she knew little about HIV/AIDS. “This is a taboo that people don’t want to speak about,” said Echevarria, a Real Housewives co-star since the South Florida franchise debuted on Bravo TV in 2011. “I just found out Miami is No. 1 in the nation with new HIV cases.” Echevarria is married to Herman Echevarria, chairman and CEO of BVKmeka, a Miami-based international marketing and communications company. Her sons by a previous marriage have made news of their own in recent years.
Peter Rosello in 2012 entered a pretrial diversion program after he posted a self-described video of himself on Facebook “punching a hobo in the nuts.” Rosello, now 21, “learned the hard way, but he had to,” his mother said Thursday.
“I wanted to save him from all that but some kids have to go through that themselves.” Achevarria’s younger son, Francisco “Frankie” Rosello, who suffered a near-fatal brain injury in a 2011 car crash, was also there walking on Sunday. Frankie, now 17, goes to school full-time and still requires speech therapy as a result of the brain injury. Still, “his progress has been incredible,” said Echevarria.
On Our Radar
- Mario Chalmers: It's going to be an exciting Miami Heat season
- Spied around Miami: ARod, Katy Perry's ex, Shaq
- Million Dollar Listing Miami in trouble?
- Dwayne "The Rock Johnson filming football show in Miami
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Mangianello continue romance-fest in Miami
- Maria Menounos talks new show, book and dieting
- Is Star Island losing its luster?
- Keith Richards' daughter Alexandra spins for crowd
- Models & bottles: Leonardo DiCaprio does Miami Beach
- The Rock literally battles it out in new movie Hercules