R House restaurant, lounge, art space opening January in Wynwood - UPDATE
The ghost of Power Studios lives in Wynwood
2727 NW 2nd Avenue
Jan 13 Update: R House is scheduled to open Thursday, January 16
Wynwood, haven of hipsters, artists and those who aspire to be either, is the home of R House, a new restaurant, lounge and art space scheduled to open in January. Sounds like the way ahead of its time Design District spot Power Studios of the late 90s. The 168-seat restaurant has an exhibition kitchen, outdoor terrace, and lounge featuring all sorts of DJs and live music.
“I wanted to create a place where people can have a full sensory experience by eating delicious food, be surrounded by extraordinary art and listen to great music,” says chef/owner Rocco Carulli, who owned Edwige at Night, a seasonal restaurant for 13 years in Provincetown, Mass., was a bartender at SF's Zuni Cafe, and worked for the late Tony Goldman at Wish on Miami Beach. “I fell in love with Wynwood when I first visited and knew it was the perfect neighborhood for the R House concept.”
On the menu: appetizers including lobster corn soup with avocado, jalapeño peppers, cilantro and cream($10); mission figs with Roaring 40s blue cheese, candied walnuts and a balsamic glaze ($9) and duck confit spring roll served with ginger-orange plum sauce and baby greens ($14). Main courses include coffee-chili powder braised short rib with jalapeño scalloped potatoes, crispy shiitakes, haricots verts and molasses reduction ($25/16); sweet pea falafel with tomato, cucumber, olive and feta salad paired with a side of housemade cucumber-yogurt-garlic sauce ($18/12); Brazilian seafood moqueca – halibut, shrimp, scallops, coconut milk, dendé oil and basmati rice ($24/15) and plum wine sake glazed Chilean sea bass served with wasabi mashed potatoes and ginger baby bok choy ($24/15). Desserts include rum custard baked bananas with a gingersnap crust ($9); flourless chocolate torte with mango, raspberry coulis and whipped cream ($9); and warm three milk cake drizzled with caramel praline sauce ($9).
Drinks include the R house margarita – jalapeño infused tequila, triple sec, fresh lime, pineapple; berry bourbon – berry-infused bourbon, fresh muddled berries, simple syrup, fresh lime; and a signature array of cosmopolitans made with vodkas infused with fresh pineapple, mango, strawberry and the frontrunner – ginger.
Dinner will be served 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Tues-Thurs and Sunday; 6 p.m. until midnight Friday and Saturday; and the lounge is open midnight until 3 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.
- Lindsay Autry, Xavier Torres, Todd Erickson, Jason Pringle, & Richard Hales to compete in Cochon 555
- Phuc-in Yay! Phuc Yea! Vietnamese pop-up to go permanent mid-May
- Coya Miami opening Thursday, February 19
- 3.5 star review can't keep 27 open; Broken Shaker, restaurant shut temporarily at Freehand
- Wynwood Diner opening in March
- Chef Jeremiah opening in Aventura Mall & joining Grant Achatz's restaurant rez system Tock
- BREAKING: Hedy Goldsmith leaving The Genuine Hospitality Group, relocating to LA
- STK's 'more accessible' sibling STK Rebel opening in downtown Miami
- Crumb on Parchment alum Nicole Votano tapped as Fooq's executive chef
- Chef Art Smith is giving away #101GayWeddings at James Royal Palm during #SOBEWFF