R House restaurant, lounge, art space opening January in Wynwood - UPDATE
The ghost of Power Studios lives in Wynwood
2727 NW 2nd Avenue
Jan 13 Update: R House is scheduled to open Thursday, January 16
Wynwood, haven of hipsters, artists and those who aspire to be either, is the home of R House, a new restaurant, lounge and art space scheduled to open in January. Sounds like the way ahead of its time Design District spot Power Studios of the late 90s. The 168-seat restaurant has an exhibition kitchen, outdoor terrace, and lounge featuring all sorts of DJs and live music.
“I wanted to create a place where people can have a full sensory experience by eating delicious food, be surrounded by extraordinary art and listen to great music,” says chef/owner Rocco Carulli, who owned Edwige at Night, a seasonal restaurant for 13 years in Provincetown, Mass., was a bartender at SF's Zuni Cafe, and worked for the late Tony Goldman at Wish on Miami Beach. “I fell in love with Wynwood when I first visited and knew it was the perfect neighborhood for the R House concept.”
On the menu: appetizers including lobster corn soup with avocado, jalapeño peppers, cilantro and cream($10); mission figs with Roaring 40s blue cheese, candied walnuts and a balsamic glaze ($9) and duck confit spring roll served with ginger-orange plum sauce and baby greens ($14). Main courses include coffee-chili powder braised short rib with jalapeño scalloped potatoes, crispy shiitakes, haricots verts and molasses reduction ($25/16); sweet pea falafel with tomato, cucumber, olive and feta salad paired with a side of housemade cucumber-yogurt-garlic sauce ($18/12); Brazilian seafood moqueca – halibut, shrimp, scallops, coconut milk, dendé oil and basmati rice ($24/15) and plum wine sake glazed Chilean sea bass served with wasabi mashed potatoes and ginger baby bok choy ($24/15). Desserts include rum custard baked bananas with a gingersnap crust ($9); flourless chocolate torte with mango, raspberry coulis and whipped cream ($9); and warm three milk cake drizzled with caramel praline sauce ($9).
Drinks include the R house margarita – jalapeño infused tequila, triple sec, fresh lime, pineapple; berry bourbon – berry-infused bourbon, fresh muddled berries, simple syrup, fresh lime; and a signature array of cosmopolitans made with vodkas infused with fresh pineapple, mango, strawberry and the frontrunner – ginger.
Dinner will be served 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Tues-Thurs and Sunday; 6 p.m. until midnight Friday and Saturday; and the lounge is open midnight until 3 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.
- Ex Preservation chef Ryan Harrison heads up Giorgio Rapicavoli's Taperia Raca; menu here>>
- Tommy Hilfiger is buying, redoing The Raleigh; no comment from Michael Schwartz on restaurant's fate
- Carla Pellegrino's Touché Rooftop Lounge & Restaurant opening April 3
- The Villa by Barton G relaunches restaurant as Il Sole
- Java junkies! Tell us about your incurable coffee addiction & win a Keurig Special Edition Brewing System
- Bâoli does Omakase
- Hot sauce, happy hour & pinatas with free stuff at Huahua's Taqueria
- Locals, legends in the galley at SOBEWFF's Ocean Liner Dinner at The Wolfsonian
- Matt Ratcliffe, ex BLT Steak chef de cuisine, heads to Palm Beach as Buccan & Imoto execu chef
- Newly crowned Prince of Porc, Pubbelly's Jose Mendin, giving away free food Feb 20