Pubbelly's Italian sibling Macchialina Taverna Rustica opens Tuesday
Rustic Italian by ex Scarpetta chef Michael Pirolo
820 Alton Rd.
Not straying too far from it's porky roots, Macchialina, pronounced ( mah-kia-li-na ), is derived from the words Macchia meaning “mark or spot” and Maialina meaning “ piglet.” And after three months of permiting and anticipation, the rustic Italian relative of Pubbelly opens in the space formerly known as Sylvano at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, June 26.
Featuring the cuisine of ex Scarpetta chef Michael Pirolo, Macchialina's menu features an emphasis on "simple, clean flavors, fresh ingredients and rustic accents." Highlights of that menu include selections of salumi, antipastos including a polenta board with cippolinis, sweetbreads and sausage, house made pizzas served Naples or New York City-style, and home made pastas including Pirolo's signature taleggio and braised shortrib lasagna and Cavatelli Macchialina with ragu Napoletano and pecorino.
Wines hail from predominantly old world boutique Italian wineries; there are also 10 American & European craft beers. Most wines on the list are under $60 dollars. For the harder stuff, expect re-imagined classic cocktails made with prosecco, aperitifs and digestives.
The restaurant wil serve dinner from 6 p.m. to midnight Tuesday through Sunday with dinner served until 1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. A familys tyle brunch is scheduled for sometime in the Fall.
- Doré South Beach and another place is closed
- Macchialina's Michael Pirolo presents Pirolo's Panino Pop-Up, June 4-Aug 31
- Fried chicken tacos & tequila ice pops at Huahua’s Taqueria, opening mid-June on Lincoln Road
- BondSt sushi at The Townhouse closing Sunday to make way for high end, European-style pub
- Zuma launches $wanky Summer Saturday brunch on June 1
- Ms. Cheezious giving away free food & swag today in The Hangover Part III promo
- Executive Chef Wanted: E. Michael Reidt out at Area 31
- Social media stalking travel app names Perricone's as Miami's #1 restaurant
- As the Rumor Mill Churns: Il Mulino to South Beach & a blind item
- Umami Burger South Beach opening at 11 a.m. May 10