Pubbelly's Italian sibling Macchialina Taverna Rustica opens Tuesday
Rustic Italian by ex Scarpetta chef Michael Pirolo
820 Alton Rd.
Not straying too far from it's porky roots, Macchialina, pronounced ( mah-kia-li-na ), is derived from the words Macchia meaning “mark or spot” and Maialina meaning “ piglet.” And after three months of permiting and anticipation, the rustic Italian relative of Pubbelly opens in the space formerly known as Sylvano at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, June 26.
Featuring the cuisine of ex Scarpetta chef Michael Pirolo, Macchialina's menu features an emphasis on "simple, clean flavors, fresh ingredients and rustic accents." Highlights of that menu include selections of salumi, antipastos including a polenta board with cippolinis, sweetbreads and sausage, house made pizzas served Naples or New York City-style, and home made pastas including Pirolo's signature taleggio and braised shortrib lasagna and Cavatelli Macchialina with ragu Napoletano and pecorino.
Wines hail from predominantly old world boutique Italian wineries; there are also 10 American & European craft beers. Most wines on the list are under $60 dollars. For the harder stuff, expect re-imagined classic cocktails made with prosecco, aperitifs and digestives.
The restaurant wil serve dinner from 6 p.m. to midnight Tuesday through Sunday with dinner served until 1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. A familys tyle brunch is scheduled for sometime in the Fall.
- Amy Kalinowski is the new pastry chef at Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
- PBS Chef Irie's May 7 Hidden Kitchen collaboration
- The Local Craft Food & Drink launches new menu at open-to-public party tonight
- Morimoto South Beach launches $65 'Greatest Hits' menu
- Vikram Katoch appointed new executive chef at Bianca
- Restaurant-season slowdown hits Miami
- Caviar launches Miami delivery service from Blue Collar, Miami Smokers and more
- BBQ night at Harry's Pizzeria
- Munch, munch, pass: 4/20 dinner sparks up at Eating House in Coral Gables
- Lindsay Autry, Xavier Torres, Todd Erickson, Jason Pringle, & Richard Hales to compete in Cochon 555