Proper Sausages finds porcine paradise in Miami Shores
The butcher shop sells sandwiches, bacon, pickles and more.
9722 NE Second Ave., Miami Shores
Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday
Prices: By the pound: sausages $12, bacon $16, steak $12-$30; sandwiches $8-$8.50; paté $2 an ounce.
F.Y.I. Monthly sausage, craft beer and wine tastings.
A little bell rings when you open the door to Proper Sausages, a neighborhood butcher shop in Miami Shores.
A big glass fridge case holds trays of housemade sausages, slabs of bacon and beef cuts from Jackman Ranch near Clewiston.
Several sandwiches are offered for take-out, such as a sausage patty with red peppers and onions.
Owner Frederick “Freddy” Kaufmann grew up in New York City and went to several colleges trying to find his calling.
After a stint at the University of Miami he found focus in cooking and trained at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York, excelling at charcuterie.
He headed back to Miami and met his London-born wife, Danielle, at the Raleigh Hotel, where she worked as a hostess.
The couple started making sausages with swine fed a natural diet, free of antibiotics or hormones, selling them at farmers markets. They opened a proper shop a year ago, also offering housemade paté, pickles and mustards.
Berkshire pork shoulders are cut up and coarsely ground with seasonings kneaded in, and the mixture is fed into a machine that stuffs it into casings.
Choose from the Proper with sage and black pepper; Italian with rosemary, garlic and lemon zest; Fig and Blue Cheese; Orange and Fennel; Prune and Cognac; and the Dub Jamaican with Scotch bonnet, allspice and thyme.
There’s also lamb sausage with mint and za’atar. Pork belly is cured for a week with maple syrup, sage and pepper then smoked to make bacon sliced to order.
Try it in the BLT on a soft Portuguese bun for a mouthful of porcine bliss.
Linda Bladholm is a Miami-based food writer.
- Follow your nose to Blue Willy's Barbecue in Pompano Beach
- D'Tako Market serves fresh Mexican fare in Sunny Isles
- Hardy Park Bistro serves what's in season
- Gimme A Burger's burgers will have you saying, 'Gimme'
- Southern Swank Kitchen in Davie does Southern fare right
- Sunshine Indo-Pak Grocery promises edible passage to India
- Cheen-Huaye Mexican restaurant expands menu, dining room in North Miami
- North Miami's Great Harvest meets customers' kneads
- Greek eatery Poseidon excels at grilled fish
- Zak the Baker's new bakery rises in Wynwood