Proper Sausages finds porcine paradise in Miami Shores
The butcher shop sells sandwiches, bacon, pickles and more.
A little bell rings when you open the door to Proper Sausages, a neighborhood butcher shop in Miami Shores.
A big glass fridge case holds trays of housemade sausages, slabs of bacon and beef cuts from Jackman Ranch near Clewiston.
Several sandwiches are offered for take-out, such as a sausage patty with red peppers and onions.
Owner Frederick “Freddy” Kaufmann grew up in New York City and went to several colleges trying to find his calling.
After a stint at the University of Miami he found focus in cooking and trained at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York, excelling at charcuterie.
He headed back to Miami and met his London-born wife, Danielle, at the Raleigh Hotel, where she worked as a hostess.
The couple started making sausages with swine fed a natural diet, free of antibiotics or hormones, selling them at farmers markets. They opened a proper shop a year ago, also offering housemade paté, pickles and mustards.
Berkshire pork shoulders are cut up and coarsely ground with seasonings kneaded in, and the mixture is fed into a machine that stuffs it into casings.
Choose from the Proper with sage and black pepper; Italian with rosemary, garlic and lemon zest; Fig and Blue Cheese; Orange and Fennel; Prune and Cognac; and the Dub Jamaican with Scotch bonnet, allspice and thyme.
There’s also lamb sausage with mint and za’atar. Pork belly is cured for a week with maple syrup, sage and pepper then smoked to make bacon sliced to order.
Try it in the BLT on a soft Portuguese bun for a mouthful of porcine bliss.
Linda Bladholm is a Miami-based food writer.
9722 NE Second Ave., Miami Shores
Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday
Prices: By the pound: sausages $12, bacon $16, steak $12-$30; sandwiches $8-$8.50; paté $2 an ounce.
F.Y.I. Monthly sausage, craft beer and wine tastings.
- Get fresh pastas and other tastes of Italy at Limoncello Restaurant in Aventura
- 41st Street Deli makes gourmet kosher sandwiches in Miami Beach
- Fornaro cooks Italian food by way of Brazil in Coconut Grove
- Stone crabs with a side of sunset at Monty's in South Beach
- Moreno’s Café captures the spirit of Cuba in Miami Beach
- Ni.Do Caffe in Miami Shores celebrates eating the Italian way
- The hottest Thai food in Miami is on Calle Ocho
- Vegan cuisine is in Full Bloom in Miami Beach
- Jet Runway Café takes off in Fort Lauderdale
- Go all natural at Organic Bites in Miami