Proper Sausages finds porcine paradise in Miami Shores
The butcher shop sells sandwiches, bacon, pickles and more.
9722 NE Second Ave., Miami Shores
Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday
Prices: By the pound: sausages $12, bacon $16, steak $12-$30; sandwiches $8-$8.50; paté $2 an ounce.
F.Y.I. Monthly sausage, craft beer and wine tastings.
A little bell rings when you open the door to Proper Sausages, a neighborhood butcher shop in Miami Shores.
A big glass fridge case holds trays of housemade sausages, slabs of bacon and beef cuts from Jackman Ranch near Clewiston.
Several sandwiches are offered for take-out, such as a sausage patty with red peppers and onions.
Owner Frederick “Freddy” Kaufmann grew up in New York City and went to several colleges trying to find his calling.
After a stint at the University of Miami he found focus in cooking and trained at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York, excelling at charcuterie.
He headed back to Miami and met his London-born wife, Danielle, at the Raleigh Hotel, where she worked as a hostess.
The couple started making sausages with swine fed a natural diet, free of antibiotics or hormones, selling them at farmers markets. They opened a proper shop a year ago, also offering housemade paté, pickles and mustards.
Berkshire pork shoulders are cut up and coarsely ground with seasonings kneaded in, and the mixture is fed into a machine that stuffs it into casings.
Choose from the Proper with sage and black pepper; Italian with rosemary, garlic and lemon zest; Fig and Blue Cheese; Orange and Fennel; Prune and Cognac; and the Dub Jamaican with Scotch bonnet, allspice and thyme.
There’s also lamb sausage with mint and za’atar. Pork belly is cured for a week with maple syrup, sage and pepper then smoked to make bacon sliced to order.
Try it in the BLT on a soft Portuguese bun for a mouthful of porcine bliss.
Linda Bladholm is a Miami-based food writer.
- Vegan cuisine is in Full Bloom in Miami Beach
- Jet Runway Café takes off in Fort Lauderdale
- Go all natural at Organic Bites in Miami
- Kosher sushi? Hold the shrimp in Surfside
- Salon Canton Restaurant makes Chinese food by way of Venezuela in Miami Beach and Doral
- Tracking Miami taco joints, from South Beach to Wynwood
- SeaWatch restaurant gets a face-lift in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea
- Hibachi Grill serves oodles of noodles and more in Miami
- Take a tour through Asia at Origin Bistro in Key Biscayne
- It's Southern cookin' with Miami flair at The Local gastropub in Coral Gables