Proper Sausages finds porcine paradise in Miami Shores
The butcher shop sells sandwiches, bacon, pickles and more.
9722 NE Second Ave., Miami Shores
Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday
Prices: By the pound: sausages $12, bacon $16, steak $12-$30; sandwiches $8-$8.50; paté $2 an ounce.
F.Y.I. Monthly sausage, craft beer and wine tastings.
A little bell rings when you open the door to Proper Sausages, a neighborhood butcher shop in Miami Shores.
A big glass fridge case holds trays of housemade sausages, slabs of bacon and beef cuts from Jackman Ranch near Clewiston.
Several sandwiches are offered for take-out, such as a sausage patty with red peppers and onions.
Owner Frederick “Freddy” Kaufmann grew up in New York City and went to several colleges trying to find his calling.
After a stint at the University of Miami he found focus in cooking and trained at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York, excelling at charcuterie.
He headed back to Miami and met his London-born wife, Danielle, at the Raleigh Hotel, where she worked as a hostess.
The couple started making sausages with swine fed a natural diet, free of antibiotics or hormones, selling them at farmers markets. They opened a proper shop a year ago, also offering housemade paté, pickles and mustards.
Berkshire pork shoulders are cut up and coarsely ground with seasonings kneaded in, and the mixture is fed into a machine that stuffs it into casings.
Choose from the Proper with sage and black pepper; Italian with rosemary, garlic and lemon zest; Fig and Blue Cheese; Orange and Fennel; Prune and Cognac; and the Dub Jamaican with Scotch bonnet, allspice and thyme.
There’s also lamb sausage with mint and za’atar. Pork belly is cured for a week with maple syrup, sage and pepper then smoked to make bacon sliced to order.
Try it in the BLT on a soft Portuguese bun for a mouthful of porcine bliss.
Linda Bladholm is a Miami-based food writer.
- Freshii: Fast food that's healthy and tastes good
- Via Emilia 9 leads food path to Italy from Miami Beach
- Comfort-food goodness oozes from the Daily Melt in Miami
- Indian caterer Tasty Kerala cooks feasts from Fort Lauderdale kitchen
- Now that's a Good Pie: Davie bakery does sweet and savory
- Manna from heaven falls in Lauderhill
- North African dishes cap exotic menu at Fez
- Smooshies candy store opens in Key Biscayne
- South Miami's Buns & Buns is nuts about dough
- Chez Bon Bon sweetens and caffeinates at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach