Pool @ The Raleigh
Check out the best spots in South Florida to hang poolside.
1775 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 305-534-6300
Enjoy this Art Deco marvel designed by Lawrence Murray Dixon in 1940, but be sure to order a poolside snack, otherwise you pay a $25 pool entry fee. The Raleigh has the old glamorous Miami Beach feel and stays loyal to its locals by allowing non-hotel guests to hang out (unlike many spots on the beach).
A curvy, three-foot-deep moat outlines the pool that was originally constructed for the swimmer/actress Esther Williams. Thick with foliage, the deck area almost hides the neighboring hotels on either side of the courtyard. A diving board fountain gives off the calm hum of a waterfall trickle, and a beach volleyball court rests beyond the cabanas lit seductively with red lights. Hammocks are lined up between the trees near an army of beds, and separate, slightly private showers.
Cabanas are $125 a day, allow up to six people, and include service, fruit, a bottle of water and scented towels. Saturday is the liveliest pool day, and the poolside bar closes at 8 p.m. The pool is open, however, until the last guest leaves, says Food and Beverage Manager Trent Nichols. “It's probably one of the most photographed pools in the world,” he boasts. He also raves about the tasty Cuban sandwich and tuna tacos from the kitchen.
The hotel advertises rooms for $159 per night for Floridians (valet parking plus a room upgrade at check-in is also included). Typically, valet is a $15 flat rate, Nichols said.
-- KYLE TEAL
See and Do
- Family-friendly NYE, Toy Story & your Winter Break bucket list: Munchkin Fun's top picks Dec 29-Jan 4
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Holidays 2014
- Holiday parades, princess parties & a local gift guide: Munchkin Fun's top weekly picks
- Borscht Film Festival spurs a Miami filmmaking boom
- Holiday events in Miami
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Dec. 12-14
- Outré Theatre makes its move to Fort Lauderdale with ‘Othello’
- Cirque du Soleil brings its fem-centric show, 'Amaluna,' to Sun Life Stadium
- Seminole Hard Rock Winterfest Boat Parade floats into Broward this Saturday
- Holiday dance, theater and music favorites to make the season merry