Pool @ Sagamore
1671 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 305-535-8088
It really depends on which manager you ask, but hanging out at the Sagamore's pool - open 24 hours - shouldn't be a problem if you're ordering food or drinks (there's no security, so just stay cool and jump in).
But the main attraction at this artsy Miami Beach spot comes on Sundays, when the RX Pool and Beach Lounge brings out dancers dressed as nurses (well, if nurses wore bikinis) and the weary weekend partiers for some “rehab,'' from noon to 8 p.m. If you make the guest list the party is free; otherwise it's a $20 cover. The bar is open from 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.
The resort is filled with conceptual art, photography and modern design, including mushrooms sprouting from the wall, what looks like a giant toy helicopter and a photo Spencer Tunick took at the Sagamore in 2007 of 500 happy, naked people, some spraying champagne. Everything inside is white, chic and pure, making you fearful of tracking dirt or smudging anything. Outside, a trail of trees and cabanas with large TVs leads you to your destination.
The kitchen - open until 10 p.m. - serves a lot of pasta and pizzas, made with fresh dough. The crowd chatting alongside the L-shape pool is described as “elite'' by hotel staff. “It's always the most beautiful crowd in Miami,'' said DJ and promoter Justin Sheppard. Self-proclaimed “best mojito maker'' bartender Diana Luna says Phoenix Suns center Shaquille O'Neal held his most recent birthday party at the spot.
-- KYLE TEAL
See and Do
- Pumpkin patches, parties and trick-or-treating: Munchkin Fun's 2014 Halloween Guide
- MIFFecito: A Shot of Cinema
- Grovetoberfest brings craft beer to Miami's masses
- Playwright Vanessa Garcia tackles identity in exile in her new play 'The Cuban Spring'
- Two generations of Latin music-makers gather in Miami for Red Bull Siempre Fresco
- Trick or treating, holiday crafts & The Lego Movie: Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Casino Night event in Coral Gables benefits at-risk children
- The Beatles arrive at HistoryMiami
- Coral Gables Art Cinema hosts Miami International Children’s Film Festival
- 'Frida: Unmasked' explores the life of famed artist Frida Kahlo