Pool @ Sagamore
1671 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 305-535-8088
It really depends on which manager you ask, but hanging out at the Sagamore's pool - open 24 hours - shouldn't be a problem if you're ordering food or drinks (there's no security, so just stay cool and jump in).
But the main attraction at this artsy Miami Beach spot comes on Sundays, when the RX Pool and Beach Lounge brings out dancers dressed as nurses (well, if nurses wore bikinis) and the weary weekend partiers for some “rehab,'' from noon to 8 p.m. If you make the guest list the party is free; otherwise it's a $20 cover. The bar is open from 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.
The resort is filled with conceptual art, photography and modern design, including mushrooms sprouting from the wall, what looks like a giant toy helicopter and a photo Spencer Tunick took at the Sagamore in 2007 of 500 happy, naked people, some spraying champagne. Everything inside is white, chic and pure, making you fearful of tracking dirt or smudging anything. Outside, a trail of trees and cabanas with large TVs leads you to your destination.
The kitchen - open until 10 p.m. - serves a lot of pasta and pizzas, made with fresh dough. The crowd chatting alongside the L-shape pool is described as “elite'' by hotel staff. “It's always the most beautiful crowd in Miami,'' said DJ and promoter Justin Sheppard. Self-proclaimed “best mojito maker'' bartender Diana Luna says Phoenix Suns center Shaquille O'Neal held his most recent birthday party at the spot.
-- KYLE TEAL
See and Do
- 5 free and cheap things to do in Miami
- Summer Events in Key West that are worth the four-hour drive
- Ultimate guide to South Florida beaches
- The 5 biggest lies about Miami traffic
- Miami Bike Paths Guide
- Florida Supercon 2016
- Free and cheap events in Miami this weekend
- 6 Best Things To Do Inside in Miami When It's Hot as Balls Outside
- Planning Your Girlfriend Getaway in Miami
- Five ways to punish Miami drivers who keep plowing through the poles to get to the I-95 express lanes