Plenty of salsa and tango opportunities in Miami
Digweed takes over Vagabond
Hips(ters) and Salsa
Salsa dancers and those who pretend to be such will gather at the 11th Annual Miami Salsa Congress taking place now through Aug. 5 at the Deauville Beach Resort, 6701 Collins Ave. But for those who have two left feet or just like to watch, consider doing just that. There are dance shows and concerts starting at 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday night and if you're so inspired or inebriated, the shows are followed on both nights by a dance party and live concert at 11:30 p.m. with an after party on both nights from 3 a.m. until 6 a.m. Yep, you read right, salsa until six a.m. Brace (figuratively speaking course) yourselves. For full schedule click here.
Burger, Beer & Balls
For those who thought the Miami Circle was one just a hotly contested archaeological site, think again. On Saturday, Aug. 4 from 4-10 p.m., The Miami Taste of Brickell Food & Wine Festival is throwing its Inaugural Burger, Beer & Balls Bash, benefiting Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami-Dade. Location? 401 Brickell Ave--aka the archaeologically significant Miami Circle. The event will feature over 25 local restaurants showing off their best versions of burgers and meatballs, and, if you buy a VIP ticket, unlimited craft beer samples. There's also a burger demo, live music, and, at 7 p.m., a burger eating contest by Burger & Beer joint. If you're not in a coma by 10 p.m., the party moves to Club 50 at the Viceroy. General admission tickets are $10--food and drink are available for purchase; a $25 wine and spirits ticket gets you unlimited open bar in the wine and spirits tent; and VIP tickets from $65 to $100 include vouchers for drinks and food. For more information, visit www.tasteofbrickell.com.
It Takes Two to Make a Thing Go Right
New from uber promoters Gary James and Vitamin C: 2 to Tango Wednesdays from 8 p.m. until 1 a.m. at Puntino, the space formerly known as World Resources at 719 Lincoln Road, featuring tango dancers, DJ, live music and all sorts of rhythmical mayhem. You can take that mayhem to Mokai with you, where the after party continues until the ungodly hours. Also from James, a full moon party from 9 p.m. until whenever on Friday, Aug. 3 at Moksha, 228 NE 59th St. in Little Haiti. According to James, it's "an amazing grass roots party with 800 devoted followers."
British DJ John Digweed has played major venues, arenas and even movies. On Thursday, Aug. 9, Digweed spins at The Vagabond, 30 NE 14th St., for what is being billed as “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” Technically midsummer is between June 21 and June 24, but when it comes to Digweed, it’s whenever he says it is. A stellar selection of locals will also be spinning in various rooms, including Sean Drake, Nitebloom, and the Nightdrive DJs Laura of Miami, Patrick Walsh and Stravinsky. Tickets range from $10 to $40 if they are even still available at www.wantickets.com. Doors open at 10 p.m.
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to one year of local brews at Wynwood Brewing Company and all-you-can-eat tacos at Toro Toro
- Velvet Underground: African music and culture takes the stage at the Afro Roots World Music Festival and The Broken Shaker invites you to party poolside this Sunday
- Velvet Underground: Balans launches karaoke night and db Bistro Moderne brings back the decadent daily 'DBQ Happy Hour'
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays