Plenty of salsa and tango opportunities in Miami
Digweed takes over Vagabond
Hips(ters) and Salsa
Salsa dancers and those who pretend to be such will gather at the 11th Annual Miami Salsa Congress taking place now through Aug. 5 at the Deauville Beach Resort, 6701 Collins Ave. But for those who have two left feet or just like to watch, consider doing just that. There are dance shows and concerts starting at 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday night and if you're so inspired or inebriated, the shows are followed on both nights by a dance party and live concert at 11:30 p.m. with an after party on both nights from 3 a.m. until 6 a.m. Yep, you read right, salsa until six a.m. Brace (figuratively speaking course) yourselves. For full schedule click here.
Burger, Beer & Balls
For those who thought the Miami Circle was one just a hotly contested archaeological site, think again. On Saturday, Aug. 4 from 4-10 p.m., The Miami Taste of Brickell Food & Wine Festival is throwing its Inaugural Burger, Beer & Balls Bash, benefiting Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami-Dade. Location? 401 Brickell Ave--aka the archaeologically significant Miami Circle. The event will feature over 25 local restaurants showing off their best versions of burgers and meatballs, and, if you buy a VIP ticket, unlimited craft beer samples. There's also a burger demo, live music, and, at 7 p.m., a burger eating contest by Burger & Beer joint. If you're not in a coma by 10 p.m., the party moves to Club 50 at the Viceroy. General admission tickets are $10--food and drink are available for purchase; a $25 wine and spirits ticket gets you unlimited open bar in the wine and spirits tent; and VIP tickets from $65 to $100 include vouchers for drinks and food. For more information, visit www.tasteofbrickell.com.
It Takes Two to Make a Thing Go Right
New from uber promoters Gary James and Vitamin C: 2 to Tango Wednesdays from 8 p.m. until 1 a.m. at Puntino, the space formerly known as World Resources at 719 Lincoln Road, featuring tango dancers, DJ, live music and all sorts of rhythmical mayhem. You can take that mayhem to Mokai with you, where the after party continues until the ungodly hours. Also from James, a full moon party from 9 p.m. until whenever on Friday, Aug. 3 at Moksha, 228 NE 59th St. in Little Haiti. According to James, it's "an amazing grass roots party with 800 devoted followers."
British DJ John Digweed has played major venues, arenas and even movies. On Thursday, Aug. 9, Digweed spins at The Vagabond, 30 NE 14th St., for what is being billed as “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” Technically midsummer is between June 21 and June 24, but when it comes to Digweed, it’s whenever he says it is. A stellar selection of locals will also be spinning in various rooms, including Sean Drake, Nitebloom, and the Nightdrive DJs Laura of Miami, Patrick Walsh and Stravinsky. Tickets range from $10 to $40 if they are even still available at www.wantickets.com. Doors open at 10 p.m.
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more