Plenty of salsa and tango opportunities in Miami
Digweed takes over Vagabond
Hips(ters) and Salsa
Salsa dancers and those who pretend to be such will gather at the 11th Annual Miami Salsa Congress taking place now through Aug. 5 at the Deauville Beach Resort, 6701 Collins Ave. But for those who have two left feet or just like to watch, consider doing just that. There are dance shows and concerts starting at 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday night and if you're so inspired or inebriated, the shows are followed on both nights by a dance party and live concert at 11:30 p.m. with an after party on both nights from 3 a.m. until 6 a.m. Yep, you read right, salsa until six a.m. Brace (figuratively speaking course) yourselves. For full schedule click here.
Burger, Beer & Balls
For those who thought the Miami Circle was one just a hotly contested archaeological site, think again. On Saturday, Aug. 4 from 4-10 p.m., The Miami Taste of Brickell Food & Wine Festival is throwing its Inaugural Burger, Beer & Balls Bash, benefiting Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami-Dade. Location? 401 Brickell Ave--aka the archaeologically significant Miami Circle. The event will feature over 25 local restaurants showing off their best versions of burgers and meatballs, and, if you buy a VIP ticket, unlimited craft beer samples. There's also a burger demo, live music, and, at 7 p.m., a burger eating contest by Burger & Beer joint. If you're not in a coma by 10 p.m., the party moves to Club 50 at the Viceroy. General admission tickets are $10--food and drink are available for purchase; a $25 wine and spirits ticket gets you unlimited open bar in the wine and spirits tent; and VIP tickets from $65 to $100 include vouchers for drinks and food. For more information, visit www.tasteofbrickell.com.
It Takes Two to Make a Thing Go Right
New from uber promoters Gary James and Vitamin C: 2 to Tango Wednesdays from 8 p.m. until 1 a.m. at Puntino, the space formerly known as World Resources at 719 Lincoln Road, featuring tango dancers, DJ, live music and all sorts of rhythmical mayhem. You can take that mayhem to Mokai with you, where the after party continues until the ungodly hours. Also from James, a full moon party from 9 p.m. until whenever on Friday, Aug. 3 at Moksha, 228 NE 59th St. in Little Haiti. According to James, it's "an amazing grass roots party with 800 devoted followers."
British DJ John Digweed has played major venues, arenas and even movies. On Thursday, Aug. 9, Digweed spins at The Vagabond, 30 NE 14th St., for what is being billed as “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” Technically midsummer is between June 21 and June 24, but when it comes to Digweed, it’s whenever he says it is. A stellar selection of locals will also be spinning in various rooms, including Sean Drake, Nitebloom, and the Nightdrive DJs Laura of Miami, Patrick Walsh and Stravinsky. Tickets range from $10 to $40 if they are even still available at www.wantickets.com. Doors open at 10 p.m.
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard
- Discounted drinks & designer duds, Yandel & Gadiel for free, missing matzo, and an ode to Drake
- Bogie, Bacall @ EDITION, Matoma @ LIV, Tax Day @ Mignonette & Blue Collar, plus Jim Camacho & Jellybean
- Piano playing in Wynwood, Macy's parading at Icon, pop culture on the Gale rooftop & Led Zep yoga @ Anatomy at 1220
- Crab racing & beer in Wynwood, art auctions & pig at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
- Exclamatory Miami: Paella! Donuts! (Free) Pommery! (Free) Concerts!
- Hey Mr. DJ, put a record on: It's Miami Music Week! Dress like bananas, feel the bass, boogie & brunch
- Diplo does LIV, Fadó Irish Pub goes green, Hearts & Stars at Nautilus & Bond Lounge's Black Circus
- #SOBEWFF for the rest, day clubbing, drag queens, dinner & a show & rock 'n' roll!
- Night at the Museum, spa happy hours, day drinking, Wynwood Yarding & Erick Morillo