Pitbull goes to Washington
Rapper has his day
Is Pitbull running for office? Not yet. Mr. 305 has signed on as a major backer of a new charter school in his old inner-city neighborhood.
Pit was a keynote speaker at the Washington Convention Center Monday, speaking “not just as an advocate” but as a charter school parent as well. (He has six kids — who knew? — and three are in charter schools.)
The megarapper could afford private, but no. “I believe in the system,” he said, “I’ve seen it with my own eyes.” His SLAM Charter School — Sports Leadership and Management — opens this fall and will be partially run by non-profit Mater Academy, which has several Miami-area charter schools. “Making something from nothing is something I’ve done in the music business,” he said. "Being a Miami boy was strike one. Being a Cuban boy, strike two. Being white with blue eyes — okay, that’s four strikes.”
On Our Radar
- The Kardashians raise eyebrows in Cuba
- Forget about a concert: Janet Jackson is pregnant
- Floridian model Kate Upton engaged
- A 'Real Housewives of Miami' spinoff with Joanna Krupa?
- Mariah Carey set to make wishes come true in Miami
- #Rich Kids of Beverly Hills star in Miami
- Ivanka Trump: Welcome to my spa
- Jencarlos Canela discusses his music at Latin Billboards
- Beyonce and Jay Z look and act like a couple in Miami
- 10 ways to prepare for the Beyonce concert