Pitbull goes to Washington
Rapper has his day
Is Pitbull running for office? Not yet. Mr. 305 has signed on as a major backer of a new charter school in his old inner-city neighborhood.
Pit was a keynote speaker at the Washington Convention Center Monday, speaking “not just as an advocate” but as a charter school parent as well. (He has six kids — who knew? — and three are in charter schools.)
The megarapper could afford private, but no. “I believe in the system,” he said, “I’ve seen it with my own eyes.” His SLAM Charter School — Sports Leadership and Management — opens this fall and will be partially run by non-profit Mater Academy, which has several Miami-area charter schools. “Making something from nothing is something I’ve done in the music business,” he said. "Being a Miami boy was strike one. Being a Cuban boy, strike two. Being white with blue eyes — okay, that’s four strikes.”
On Our Radar
- Spied around Miami: ARod, Katy Perry's ex, Shaq
- Million Dollar Listing Miami in trouble?
- Dwayne "The Rock Johnson filming football show in Miami
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Mangianello continue romance-fest in Miami
- Maria Menounos talks new show, book and dieting
- Is Star Island losing its luster?
- Keith Richards' daughter Alexandra spins for crowd
- Models & bottles: Leonardo DiCaprio does Miami Beach
- The Rock literally battles it out in new movie Hercules
- Mario Lopez parties on yacht in Miami Beach