Pitbull goes to Washington
Rapper has his day
Is Pitbull running for office? Not yet. Mr. 305 has signed on as a major backer of a new charter school in his old inner-city neighborhood.
Pit was a keynote speaker at the Washington Convention Center Monday, speaking “not just as an advocate” but as a charter school parent as well. (He has six kids — who knew? — and three are in charter schools.)
The megarapper could afford private, but no. “I believe in the system,” he said, “I’ve seen it with my own eyes.” His SLAM Charter School — Sports Leadership and Management — opens this fall and will be partially run by non-profit Mater Academy, which has several Miami-area charter schools. “Making something from nothing is something I’ve done in the music business,” he said. "Being a Miami boy was strike one. Being a Cuban boy, strike two. Being white with blue eyes — okay, that’s four strikes.”
On Our Radar
- Florida has better taste in Halloween candy than most other states, says survey
- Phil Collins: 'I don’t like Miami particularly'
- DJ Irie gets put in the hot seat this Saturday at his own celebrity roast
- King Tide floods the streets of South Florida
- Jose Fernandez may get his own Miami street
- Orange is the New Black star gets her drink on
- Where to get hurricane updates without a TV
- Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo at “Before the Flood” screening
- What's closed in Miami because of Hurricane Matthew
- La La Anthony in Miami trying out cocktails