Pitbull goes to Washington
Rapper has his day
Is Pitbull running for office? Not yet. Mr. 305 has signed on as a major backer of a new charter school in his old inner-city neighborhood.
Pit was a keynote speaker at the Washington Convention Center Monday, speaking “not just as an advocate” but as a charter school parent as well. (He has six kids — who knew? — and three are in charter schools.)
The megarapper could afford private, but no. “I believe in the system,” he said, “I’ve seen it with my own eyes.” His SLAM Charter School — Sports Leadership and Management — opens this fall and will be partially run by non-profit Mater Academy, which has several Miami-area charter schools. “Making something from nothing is something I’ve done in the music business,” he said. "Being a Miami boy was strike one. Being a Cuban boy, strike two. Being white with blue eyes — okay, that’s four strikes.”
On Our Radar
- One Direction loves Florida, records concert special
- Celebrity spotting in Miami
- What did most Miamians search for in 2014?
- See Fort Lauderdale native Jason Kennedy tie the knot
- Fleetwood Mac drummer Mick Fleetwood showcases his photography
- Ne-Yo plays Santa Claus in Kendall
- Rosario Dawson in Miami to talk new movie
- Diner en Blanc lands on Miami Beach
- Annie stars in Miami
- Shakira's mansion reportedly back on the market