Pitbull goes to Washington
Rapper has his day
Is Pitbull running for office? Not yet. Mr. 305 has signed on as a major backer of a new charter school in his old inner-city neighborhood.
Pit was a keynote speaker at the Washington Convention Center Monday, speaking “not just as an advocate” but as a charter school parent as well. (He has six kids — who knew? — and three are in charter schools.)
The megarapper could afford private, but no. “I believe in the system,” he said, “I’ve seen it with my own eyes.” His SLAM Charter School — Sports Leadership and Management — opens this fall and will be partially run by non-profit Mater Academy, which has several Miami-area charter schools. “Making something from nothing is something I’ve done in the music business,” he said. "Being a Miami boy was strike one. Being a Cuban boy, strike two. Being white with blue eyes — okay, that’s four strikes.”
On Our Radar
- Pitbull isn't just Mr. 305, he's Mr. Florida
- Gabrielle Anwar set to marry this weekend
- William Levy celebrates 35th birthday in Miami
- LeBron James sells his Miami mansion
- World Cup champ Kelley O'Hara at the W
- Wilmer Valderrama in Miami
- Vanilla Ice headed to the Design District?
- Thrive Seminar, Nelson Foundation will award local entrepreneur $10,000 on Thursday on Miami Beach
- Comedian Jo Koy at Magic City Casino
- Want to get gorgeous fast? Glamsquad is one solution