Pitbull goes to Washington
Rapper has his day
Is Pitbull running for office? Not yet. Mr. 305 has signed on as a major backer of a new charter school in his old inner-city neighborhood.
Pit was a keynote speaker at the Washington Convention Center Monday, speaking “not just as an advocate” but as a charter school parent as well. (He has six kids — who knew? — and three are in charter schools.)
The megarapper could afford private, but no. “I believe in the system,” he said, “I’ve seen it with my own eyes.” His SLAM Charter School — Sports Leadership and Management — opens this fall and will be partially run by non-profit Mater Academy, which has several Miami-area charter schools. “Making something from nothing is something I’ve done in the music business,” he said. "Being a Miami boy was strike one. Being a Cuban boy, strike two. Being white with blue eyes — okay, that’s four strikes.”
On Our Radar
- Armand Assante remembers 'Mambo Kings' premiere
- Zika cases found in Miami Beach, pregnant women warned to stay away by CDC
- Kanye West's Life of Pablo pop up shop in Miami
- Miami hurdler Brianna Rollins rules!
- Disney princess Aimee Carrero a Miami girl
- Are Anna Kournikova and Enrique Iglesias married?
- 6 things to do so you don't get Zika
- Refrain From Ever Becoming A Plastic Surgery Nightmare with Dr. Nassif's Beauty Tips
- Cristiano Ronaldo spied out in Miami
- Ex Housewife Ana Quincoces fails to win Next Food Network Star