Pitbull goes back to school for a day
Rap superstar Pitbull received an honorary degree from Doral College at a joint graduation ceremony with Doral Academy Preparatory high school Tuesday night. Miami product Pitbull, 33, whose real name is Armando Perez, received a long standing ovation from students who hadn’t been told about the surprise appearance by the singer of Timber. Just like the 100-plus graduates, Pitbull, who doesn’t hold a higher-education degree, donned a black cap and gown. And he politely waited until after the ceremony to tweet: “Thank you so much, I’m honored.” Pitbull, the first to receive an honorary diploma from Doral College, told the grads not to forget why their schools were founded. “I remember being kicked out of a public school because I didn’t have the right address. That’s why I want better schools for the kids who live where I grew up,” the rapper said. School officials said the ceremonial degree was bestowed on the chart-topper because of his “tireless devotion” to his community.
On Our Radar
- 3 rare pre-embargo Cuban cigars to buy in Miami
- How to get the celebrity bikini body you crave
- Luis Guzman in Miami: Spanish is easier than French
- Miami artist Becky Rosa unveils massive public art installation at Wynwood gallery
- Antonio Banderas: I have an attachment to Miami
- Runway Reviews from Miami Fashion Week 2016
- Do you live in one of the most stressed out places in Florida?
- Gwen Stefani's having trouble selling tickets for tour
- Miami Fashion Week arrives with new celebs and a fresh vision
- 5 things to know about 2 Chainz