Pitbull goes back to school for a day
Rap superstar Pitbull received an honorary degree from Doral College at a joint graduation ceremony with Doral Academy Preparatory high school Tuesday night. Miami product Pitbull, 33, whose real name is Armando Perez, received a long standing ovation from students who hadn’t been told about the surprise appearance by the singer of Timber. Just like the 100-plus graduates, Pitbull, who doesn’t hold a higher-education degree, donned a black cap and gown. And he politely waited until after the ceremony to tweet: “Thank you so much, I’m honored.” Pitbull, the first to receive an honorary diploma from Doral College, told the grads not to forget why their schools were founded. “I remember being kicked out of a public school because I didn’t have the right address. That’s why I want better schools for the kids who live where I grew up,” the rapper said. School officials said the ceremonial degree was bestowed on the chart-topper because of his “tireless devotion” to his community.
On Our Radar
- Wilmer Valderrama in Miami
- Vanilla Ice headed to the Design District?
- Thrive Seminar, Nelson Foundation will award local entrepreneur $10,000 on Thursday on Miami Beach
- Comedian Jo Koy at Magic City Casino
- Want to get gorgeous fast? Glamsquad is one solution
- Puff Daddy and pals to take stage at Fontainebleau
- Miami Marlins star Giancarlo Stanton single & looking
- Brandon Flowers cancels Fillmore concert
- Zac Efron makes surprise visit to Regal, spins at Grand Central
- Ice Cube and co in town for 'Straight Outta Compton'