Fast, tasty Italian at Brickell’s Piola
1250 S Miami Ave, Miami, 305-374-0031
1625 Alton Rd, Miami Beach, 305-674-1660
1703 E Hallandale Beach Blvd, Hallandale Beach, 954-457-9394
Hours: Noon-midnight Sunday-Wednesday, until 1am Thursday and 2am Friday-Saturday
Price range: Starters $6-$14, salads $7.50-$15, pizza $9.50-$15.50, pasta $11-$14, entrees $14-$17, desserts $6.50-$7.50
In the middle of a tiny restaurant row that has sprouted a few blocks from Mary Brickell Village, Piola is making its mark with a mind-boggling variety of thin-crust pizzas, pastas and other Italian entrees. It took us a long time to pick a pie from the 44 kinds offered. We settled on the capricciosa classic, with ham, mushrooms, artichokes and mozzarella, and enjoyed the bubbly crust and fresh toppings (no canned mushrooms here).
The fried meatballs in the maccheroni rina were small and tasty, with big rigatoni noodles and a slightly tart tomato sauce. The large and hearty calvino salad comes with ribbons of New York strip steak that were chewy and slightly overcooked, but the mixed greens, walnuts, chunks of Gorgonzola cheese, cherry tomatoes, onions and sweet peppers satisfied. We were most impressed with the steak Milanese, lightly breaded beef cutlets topped with mixed greens and cherry tomatoes, served with oven-roasted potatoes. We didn’t expect to find this simple, homey dish in a sleek pizzeria, but we were glad we did.
With an outdoor deck and a large, bright and family-friendly interior, Piola holds promise as a quick eatery for downtowners.
- Aventura Mall's Bloomingdale’s cafe offers a break from shopping craze
- Makis Place adds more sushi to the Grove
- Bite into grab-and-go gourmet at Fort Lauderdale's Rumi
- Pao Town brings Asian street food to Coral Gables
- Stay in with homey Colombian fare from Davie's La Placita
- Stay in with grilled cheese from Mr. Cheezious
- Stay in with healthy fast food at Fort Lauderdale's Energy Kitchen
- BBQ, margaritas and music await at Brother Jimmy's in South Miami
- Agave Mexican serves Mexican fusion in Deerfield Beach
- Hallandale’s HomeTown Buffet is a buffet bonanza