Philadelphia restaurateur Stephen Starr opens Verde, a power-lunch spot at new Perez Art Museum Miami
More than just a museum café, this spot is a destination with enviable waterfront seating and a serious kitchen.
The who: Philadelphia restaurateur Stephen Starr expands his South Florida presence ((Makoto, Steak 954) with Verde, a power-lunch spot at the new Perez Art Museum Miami (PAMM).
The room: A bright and airy space behind the museum gift shop designed by PAMM architects Herzog & de Meuron. The polished concrete space offered floor-to-ceiling views of the bay and abundant waterfront seating on a patio. Green glass tumblers, pendant lighting, wooden tables and flesh-colored director chairs give the indoor dining room a design-forward feel.
Access: Museum admission is not required to dine at the restaurant.
The dishes: Modern American with an emphasis on the casual. Executive chef Nicolay Adinaguev has composed a menu of salads, pizzas and seafood-centric dishes. Prices are reasonable given the setting, with starters $12-$18 and mains $18-$24. Museum members receive a 10 percent discount.
Light bites can be had via charcuterie boards and the hamachi sashimi with citrus ponzu and jalapeño relish. Salads include a warm shrimp with truffle beurre blanc and a Perez chopped with manchego, garbazo beans and smoke tomato vinaigrette.
The pizzas show the restaurant’s emphasis on the green and seasonal with toppings like the zucchini squash blossom with goat cheese and salmon with burrata and caviar. Sandwiches include a burger made with beef from Shake Shack purveyor Pat LaFrieda and a roast chicken club. Entrées include the Caribbean red snapper with avocado, red quinoa and cucumber yogurt. Cocktails run the gamut from blood orange mimosas to passion fruit-cilantro caipirinhas.
The bottom line: More than just a museum café, this spot is a destination with enviable waterfront seating and a serious kitchen.
1103 Biscayne Blvd, Miami
- This North Miami Beach spot is for laid back Mediterranean-Spanish tapas
- Eat among the art at South Beach's Canvas
- International sushi chain opens first U.S. spot — on South Beach
- Here are four new Miami, Beach restaurants to try this month
- A sleek, new steakhouse for downtown Miami
- Why you should try these restaurants new to Miami Spice
- Traditional Italian, contemporary feel at this spot west of the airport
- This new sandwich shop keeps South Beach party going
- Catch some Poke, man: Polynesian flavors at rooftop Watr
- Pasta is handmade to order at this South Beach spot