Philadelphia restaurateur Stephen Starr opens Verde, a power-lunch spot at new Perez Art Museum Miami
More than just a museum café, this spot is a destination with enviable waterfront seating and a serious kitchen.
The who: Philadelphia restaurateur Stephen Starr expands his South Florida presence ((Makoto, Steak 954) with Verde, a power-lunch spot at the new Perez Art Museum Miami (PAMM).
The room: A bright and airy space behind the museum gift shop designed by PAMM architects Herzog & de Meuron. The polished concrete space offered floor-to-ceiling views of the bay and abundant waterfront seating on a patio. Green glass tumblers, pendant lighting, wooden tables and flesh-colored director chairs give the indoor dining room a design-forward feel.
Access: Museum admission is not required to dine at the restaurant.
The dishes: Modern American with an emphasis on the casual. Executive chef Nicolay Adinaguev has composed a menu of salads, pizzas and seafood-centric dishes. Prices are reasonable given the setting, with starters $12-$18 and mains $18-$24. Museum members receive a 10 percent discount.
Light bites can be had via charcuterie boards and the hamachi sashimi with citrus ponzu and jalapeño relish. Salads include a warm shrimp with truffle beurre blanc and a Perez chopped with manchego, garbazo beans and smoke tomato vinaigrette.
The pizzas show the restaurant’s emphasis on the green and seasonal with toppings like the zucchini squash blossom with goat cheese and salmon with burrata and caviar. Sandwiches include a burger made with beef from Shake Shack purveyor Pat LaFrieda and a roast chicken club. Entrées include the Caribbean red snapper with avocado, red quinoa and cucumber yogurt. Cocktails run the gamut from blood orange mimosas to passion fruit-cilantro caipirinhas.
The bottom line: More than just a museum café, this spot is a destination with enviable waterfront seating and a serious kitchen.
1103 Biscayne Blvd, Miami
- This Brickell spot lets you look out over Miami with a cocktail
- Why this sleek Miami Beach restaurant became a pizza and burger joint for the summer
- Why Daniel Boulud's Miami restaurant is going Mediterranean
- A peek at the new Bulla Gastrobar in Doral
- 5 reasons to check out PB Station
- A steakhouse with Pubbelly flare comes to downtown
- Where in Miami to find Uruguayan grilled meats in a luxe setting
- 4 new Miami restaurants to try in June
- Why celebrities flock to this South Beach spot for sweets and comfort food
- Where to find fast, healthy Mediterranean street food