Pastry chef: Sweets for the sweet
Hedy Goldsmith on Cooking Channel
Hedy Goldsmith gets to take her sweet tooth on the road. On the new Cooking Channel show, Unique Sweets, premiering 10 p.m. Sunday, the local dessert queen will share her expertise and indulge a little, too. Goldsmith, executive pastry chef at Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink, got to peek into the kitchens of eateries across America, some of which are doing some deliciously inventive stuff — something the Coral Gables resident knows a lot about. After all, she invented such tongue tinglers as basil ice cream, banana toffee panini and pear and cardamom granita.
Tell us about the show. It’s very cool. I go to different bakeries and restaurants and little chocolate shops tasting all kinds of wonderful things. Then I go into the studio and talk about my experiences. I use the fact that I’m a pastry chef to be able to speak the language. It’s just really an insider’s look into what goes on, how things are created and what new chefs are putting thing together. It’s exciting for me to see the next generation.
What was one of your favorite things you ate? I was really impressed by Christina Tosi at Momofuku Milk Bar in New York. She’s world-class, young and hip. Sometimes we tend to be jaded professionals, but there I felt like a kid again. Savory sweet is a passion of mine, and what she does with crushed potato chips and pretzels and coffee grinds — they are really unique, clever riffs on things. You don’t know what you’re eating, but you know you can’t stop! The salt keeps you coming back for more.
You are also working on a cookbook. How do you juggle it all? I have an amazing staff at Michael’s that keeps me in check and grounded. Pastry chefs tend to be very organized and thoughtful. I consider us the Zen masters of the kitchen. The preplanning is so important. It makes it so I can just catch a flight and eat something sweet, say, in Boston.
On Our Radar
- Barbara Streisand coming to Miami area before the holidays
- Moet bottle made just for Miami champagne lovers
- Khloe Kardashian shows off her new boyfriend in Miami
- Kim Kardashian's midnight tanning session in Miami
- 'Selma' star David Oyelowo in Miami
- Donald Trump and Kanye West to Cause Traffic Kerfuffle in Miami
- Vogue with Madonna at Art Basel
- Kourtney Kardashian in Miami with Scott Disick
- Kanye West's five weirdest (and greatest) stories of 2016 (so far)
- Magic Mike style show coming to Miami