Panther Coffee’s Beats and Brew takes over Wynwood Art Walk
Lucky Strike’s happy hour deals bowl us over
The real buzz around the Wynwood Art Walk is obviously at Panther Coffee, 2390 NW 2nd Ave., which, from 7 p.m. until 1 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 11 is throwing, along with the Awarehouse, Happy Birthday Beats & Brew, Artwalk Edition. The one year anniversary of the jumping' java house’s live local music event, Beats & Brew, is free and sponsored by Monster Sound Productions. On the roster: DJPM, Kirkjon, Axl, Organicarma, Spinzinn, and Luke Hunter. There's also live painting by artist Albert Jeffers.
Lucky Strike Miami (1691 Michigan Ave., Miami Beach) can't help you with your bowling average, but they can help you with your bottom line thanks to a few good happy hour deals. From 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Thursday, and from 4 p.m. until 9 p.m. on Fridays, the South Beach bowling lounge offers $3 Coronas, $4 house wines, drafts and well drinks and $5 appetizers. That's a lucky strike on your wallet.
Not all hot air is being blown in the presidential race. In fact, much of it originates right here on South Beach, making it imperative to cool off any which way you can. The National Hotel's Pool Party (1677 Collins Ave., Miami Beach) is one excellent way, from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 12 featuring DJ Bryan Peroni, $8 cocktail specials, no covers and, promises the promoters, "Good times. Sundays will never be the same." Again, more hot air, but at least you now know where to go to blow it off.
Too Cool for School?
Everyone knows someone who still thinks and acts like they are in high school, whether it be the classy ladies from the Real Housewives franchise or your toolish best friend. Enabling those people further is the first annual Beach High Summer Bash at 9 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 11 at the Catalina Beach Club (1756 Collins Ave., Miami Beach), a most apros pos place for such an affair. Graduates of all years and their guests are invited. There will be performances by select graduates with certifiable talent. Wristbands - that's college, not high school - are $35 per person and include all you can drink (high school and college?) for three hours plus one hour of appetizers. The package is optional, but you can reserve your wristband at www.beachhighsummerbash.com. Money raised from the event will go to the school's percussion program. How Gleeful that makes us!
- Last call at Tobacco Road, free culture @ YoungArts, Pitbull & Enrique after party
- A different sort of Bonfire of the Vanities at Conde Contemporary, Sassy City Chicks & a Ritzy beer garden
- Velvet Underground: A weird Miami bus tour and an AstroJam highlight the weekend
- Velvet Underground: Mansion nightclub opens 'Cocktails and Dreams' and Craft Spirits Festival kicks off in Coconut Grove
- Velvet Underground: Sneaker Pimps rejoice at Grand Central with Cam'ron and HaVen South Beach hosts Bar Wars
- Velvet Underground: Slap & Tickle pops up underground at FDR and Ball & Chain throws first La Pachanga party
- Velvet Underground: Complimentary wine for women at (petit) Miami and Cat Shell performs at the W South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Dine in style with chef Aaron Dreilinger and Brick House launches throwback dance party series
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to one year of local brews at Wynwood Brewing Company and all-you-can-eat tacos at Toro Toro
- Velvet Underground: African music and culture takes the stage at the Afro Roots World Music Festival and The Broken Shaker invites you to party poolside this Sunday