Panther Coffee’s Beats and Brew takes over Wynwood Art Walk
Lucky Strike’s happy hour deals bowl us over
The real buzz around the Wynwood Art Walk is obviously at Panther Coffee, 2390 NW 2nd Ave., which, from 7 p.m. until 1 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 11 is throwing, along with the Awarehouse, Happy Birthday Beats & Brew, Artwalk Edition. The one year anniversary of the jumping' java house’s live local music event, Beats & Brew, is free and sponsored by Monster Sound Productions. On the roster: DJPM, Kirkjon, Axl, Organicarma, Spinzinn, and Luke Hunter. There's also live painting by artist Albert Jeffers.
Lucky Strike Miami (1691 Michigan Ave., Miami Beach) can't help you with your bowling average, but they can help you with your bottom line thanks to a few good happy hour deals. From 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Thursday, and from 4 p.m. until 9 p.m. on Fridays, the South Beach bowling lounge offers $3 Coronas, $4 house wines, drafts and well drinks and $5 appetizers. That's a lucky strike on your wallet.
Not all hot air is being blown in the presidential race. In fact, much of it originates right here on South Beach, making it imperative to cool off any which way you can. The National Hotel's Pool Party (1677 Collins Ave., Miami Beach) is one excellent way, from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 12 featuring DJ Bryan Peroni, $8 cocktail specials, no covers and, promises the promoters, "Good times. Sundays will never be the same." Again, more hot air, but at least you now know where to go to blow it off.
Too Cool for School?
Everyone knows someone who still thinks and acts like they are in high school, whether it be the classy ladies from the Real Housewives franchise or your toolish best friend. Enabling those people further is the first annual Beach High Summer Bash at 9 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 11 at the Catalina Beach Club (1756 Collins Ave., Miami Beach), a most apros pos place for such an affair. Graduates of all years and their guests are invited. There will be performances by select graduates with certifiable talent. Wristbands - that's college, not high school - are $35 per person and include all you can drink (high school and college?) for three hours plus one hour of appetizers. The package is optional, but you can reserve your wristband at www.beachhighsummerbash.com. Money raised from the event will go to the school's percussion program. How Gleeful that makes us!
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more