A pair of Sunday afternoon parties launch this weekend in Miami
Think cocktails, food and relaxation
To Be There or Not To Be There
Wrapping up Mad Cat Theatre Company’s 12th season is the world premiere of 'The Hamlet Dog and Pony Show', "a tragedy of errors" told through music and puppetry written by Jessica Farr and occasional Burn Notice star Paul Tei. Opening night kicks off with a party at 7 p.m. and show at 8 p.m. at the Light Box at Goldman Warehouse on Friday, July 27. If you can't get to opening night, the show runs through Aug. 12. Tickets for opening night are $40, including food and drink; thereafter general admission tickets are $30 and students with valid ID pay $15. Buy tickets online at www.madcattheatre.org or ovationtix.com or by calling OvationTix at 866-811-4111.
There is no better BBQ than one that's not at your house, but, rather, at a resplendent hotel Tiki Bar and private beach area where all you have to do is eat, drink and all that jazz. Conveniently, The Palms Hotel & Spa is inviting you over from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. every Sunday through Sept. 30 for their Summer Backyard Burgers & Beers event. Choose from all sorts of burgers, meaty or meatless, plus your choice of sides for $19.95 per adults as well as $5 beer specials.
Jonesing in Bal Harbour
Performing his signature fusion of samba, reggae and soul from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, July 27 at ONE Bal Harbour Resort & Spa’s Social Hour is none other than the inimitable Miami musician known as Cleaveland Jones. Don’t be dismayed by the pricey real estate: Social Hour also features half off select drinks and appetizers.
Although the summer is almost in the home stretch, Mayfair Hotel & Spa has decided to launch its Summer Sundays pool parties from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday, July 29. Open to the public, the party features music by DJ Ethics, complimentary mini-manicures and 10-minute chair massages provided by the hotel’s Jurlique Spa, pineapple-mint infused water, and suntan lotion. There are boozy specials as well and, just for the kick off, a free welcome mimosa. For $150, you can take shelter in a cabana that comes equipped with Evian water mister, bucket of five domestic beers, iced aromatherapy towels, frozen grapes and two liters of water. Can’t make this one? Fret not; the party takes place every Sunday through Labor Day.
- Velvet Underground: Slap & Tickle pops up underground at FDR and Ball & Chain throws first La Pachanga party
- Velvet Underground: Complimentary wine for women at (petit) Miami and Cat Shell performs at the W South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Dine in style with chef Aaron Dreilinger and Brick House launches throwback dance party series
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to one year of local brews at Wynwood Brewing Company and all-you-can-eat tacos at Toro Toro
- Velvet Underground: African music and culture takes the stage at the Afro Roots World Music Festival and The Broken Shaker invites you to party poolside this Sunday
- Velvet Underground: Balans launches karaoke night and db Bistro Moderne brings back the decadent daily 'DBQ Happy Hour'
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach