Out of the Box: Copperbox Culinary Atelier, Miami's coolest dinner party
Not underground, not prohibitive, Copperbox is not your hipster's restaurant
People complain all the time about a. not being able to meet people in Miami, b. the lack of social graces not just in Miami but everywhere, in which people don’t talk to each other but instead remain immersed in their not so smart phones and, well, we could go on. Enter Chef Gabriela Machado, whose jewel of an idea has, gasp, strangers breaking bread (and foie gras crème brulee) with each other and, yikes, actually making coherent, stimulating conversation at the same time. Copperbox Culinary Atelier is a ten to thirty seat dining experience in a converted Wynwood warehouse. It’s Miami’s 21st century Warholian Factory meets Elaine’s but with better food—much better food. Chef Machado and her intrepid team prepare a stellar 7-course meal complete with wine pairings.
Machado, who hails from Venezuela, told us that she came up with the idea because “There’s nothing like it in Miami,” and because, “I just love what I do.” And she does it well. Very well. Cell phone use is strictly discouraged and tables are communal which means you actually get to meet some pretty interesting folks. The place is very discreet and doors don’t open until 7:30 on the dot Thursdays and Saturdays, which means you may find yourself standing outside a nondescript Wynwood warehouse with a bunch of strangers with whom you may emerge four hours (yes, it's a major commitment) later possibly, unbelievably, as friends. To get in, email firstname.lastname@example.org. According to General Manager Leticia de Mello Bueno, Copperbox is exclusive but not exclusionary. Cost is from $125 inclusive of tax and tip. Conversation with strangers is priceless.
3328 N. Miami Ave.
- How to get gourmet clean eating in South Beach
- RIP Randazzo's Little Italy in Coral Gables
- Who has Miami's favorite acai bowls? Yelp! weighs in
- Tap 42 opening second Miami location in ex-Aperio space in Midtown
- Nibble + Squeak dining club for "parents with pipsqueaks" launches in Miami August 24 at Mignonette
- The Rumor Mill: Murmurs of more Miami restaurant, market closings and chef firings . . .
- 305 Brews beer and coffee bar opening in August in Midtown Miami
- Alex Chang leaves The Vagabond, which will re-debut with new chef, new name
- Food Network chef Ben Vaughn joins Swine Southern Table & Bar for 2-month takeover
- Michael Pirolo, Aaron Brooks & Niven Patel join Kaytlin Brakefield on 3-course collab