Out of the Box: Copperbox Culinary Atelier, Miami's coolest dinner party
Not underground, not prohibitive, Copperbox is not your hipster's restaurant
People complain all the time about a. not being able to meet people in Miami, b. the lack of social graces not just in Miami but everywhere, in which people don’t talk to each other but instead remain immersed in their not so smart phones and, well, we could go on. Enter Chef Gabriela Machado, whose jewel of an idea has, gasp, strangers breaking bread (and foie gras crème brulee) with each other and, yikes, actually making coherent, stimulating conversation at the same time. Copperbox Culinary Atelier is a ten to thirty seat dining experience in a converted Wynwood warehouse. It’s Miami’s 21st century Warholian Factory meets Elaine’s but with better food—much better food. Chef Machado and her intrepid team prepare a stellar 7-course meal complete with wine pairings.
Machado, who hails from Venezuela, told us that she came up with the idea because “There’s nothing like it in Miami,” and because, “I just love what I do.” And she does it well. Very well. Cell phone use is strictly discouraged and tables are communal which means you actually get to meet some pretty interesting folks. The place is very discreet and doors don’t open until 7:30 on the dot Thursdays and Saturdays, which means you may find yourself standing outside a nondescript Wynwood warehouse with a bunch of strangers with whom you may emerge four hours (yes, it's a major commitment) later possibly, unbelievably, as friends. To get in, email email@example.com. According to General Manager Leticia de Mello Bueno, Copperbox is exclusive but not exclusionary. Cost is from $125 inclusive of tax and tip. Conversation with strangers is priceless.
- Marion Miami restaurant gets set to open in Brickell
- Dinner Lab hosts Miami meal with gin pairings on Aug. 25
- Miami restaurateur Michael Schwartz faces federal lawsuit alleging employee mistreatment
- Wynwood Diner opens this weekend in Miami
- The District, Moye restaurants close in Miami
- Golden Fig opening to the public July 27
- Hallandale Beach's Hyde Beach Kitchen+Cocktails opening September 1
- Chef Allen Susser delivers a sustainable seafood dinner
- Wapo Taco! opening Coral Gables location Friday July 10 with free tacos & beer
- Golden Fig farmhouse restaurant opening late summer in ex OTC space