Out and about: New Moon
Pack the hybrid full of ladies and head to Wilton Manors for New Moon.
By Vanessa Brito
Out with the old, in with New Moon. Yes, it's a bit of a drive for Miamians, but definitely worth the mileage if you're looking for a casual hang out. Besides, it is the only "happening" place south of West Palm for lesbians on Fridays. For the most part, lesbians looking to go out on a Friday night don't have much of choice than to make the cross-county drive. Located in Wilton Manors, New Moon is the Friday night hangout for girls who don't mind hanging around in jeans and a t-shirt.
For those of you who really need a cheap beer and don't mind the drive, here's the scoop. The homemade hummus is great, fresh and typically made to order. The girls and random boys are much nicer than Miamians any day. Not sure if it's the water in Broward, but these people are nice. Have a girlfriend? Don't worry, she probably won't get hit on here: The women are pretty respectful.
Single? Don't expect to find the girls all dolled up strutting their stuff. New Moon is more like the gay Cheers (without the hanging lamps): beer and wine specials, good bar food, Levi's and polo shirts, long shorts and yes, even flip flops. Only difference: there's music and dancing - nothing out of this world and no world-renown DJs, just a neighborhood bar with the neighborhood DJ and the alternative girls next door. Even without the Miami glamour, the girls are cute, well-spoken and up for a good time.
The back bar is the place to be if you're trying to take home a few phone numbers or just talking and smoking cigarettes with friends. Beware, though, it gets muggy and smoky out there. You'll have to retreat to the inside eventually, where it gets crowded and loud after midnight. Unlike most bars, the owner, Carol, is always around, typically behind the bar or checking on food orders in the back.
Parking is a hassle: Unless you have a handicap tag or resident friend, you'll have to park a few blocks away. Most of the venues in the area are gay-male oriented, so you don't have to be weary of walking those short blocks. You can also plan to make it there earlier and hit one of the nearby restaurants, which are just as laid-back and open.
The music is mainstream: a mix of house and hip-hop. Don't expect to discover any new tunes to download onto your iPod. Mixed drinks are fairly inexpensive, as is the beer and wine.
Bottom line: If you're looking to party with the girls and save a few bucks, New Moon is the best place to be - especially if you're in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Can't guarantee the same for the girls down south who have to pump $70 into their gas tank. But, think of it this way: you'd probably be spending much more than that on a nice hip outfit to go elsewhere. Miami Lesbians' best bet for the New Moon experience: carpool.
New Moon, 2440 Wilton Dr., Wilton Manors; 954-563-7660
- Go Drink This: SushiSamba's Pisco Sour
- Exclusive: The historic Ball and Chain bar and live music venue returns to Little Havana in September
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Keep the party going after the sun sets on Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - July 18 - 20
- Svedka Vodka challenges bartenders nationwide to compete in the first annual Svedka Shakedown in Miami Beach
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Nicole Moudaber brings her sounds to Space on Saturday
- Party with Jenny McCarthy at E11even Miami Saturday night after "Dirty Sexy Funny"
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - July 11 - 13