Bite into Bay Harbor's new cheerful gourmet bistro
1071 95 St, Bay Harbor
The goods: Chefs Sandra Stefani (Casa Toscana) and Ines Chattas (Icebox Café) have opened Open Kitchen, a quaint bistro and catering kitchen in Bay Harbor Islands. The tiny storefront doubles as a lunch café and small gourmet market stocked with Italian pasta, truffle oil, sun-dried tomatoes, boutique wines and beer and a robust take-home menu.
The grub: Italian and American comfort food. Prices are neighborhood-friendly with sandwiches and salads averaging $10 and mains $13-$15. Sandwiches include a pork belly BLT and turkey meatloaf with chunky tomato basil sauce. Pasta of the day could be orecchiette with arugula pesto topped with fresh mozzarella while heartier main dishes include roasted chicken and braised short ribs and sides are healthy servings of quinoa, pink lentil salad and roasted vegetables.
The family-style take-out catering menu includes hefty pans of meatloaf, grilled chicken and ponzu-marinated fish. Make sure to try the homemade chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies, made with a light touch.
Verdict: A cheerful gourmet bistro and market helmed by the former Casa Toscana chef.
FYI: Stefani conducts her trademark Saturday morning cooking classes, where she teaches how to make homemade pasta and rustic Italian dishes, then hosts a four-course sit-down meal with students.
- OTC is now Golden Fig with farm-fresh eats
- r+d pop up by jugofresh wants to feed you veggies
- Stephen Starr's The Continental is a Retro Diner in South Beach
- Sugarloaf brings craft cocktails and a Wynwood-y vibe to Sunny Isles
- Michelin-level Momo Sushi pops up at the Mondrian
- Crust brings pizza and late-night delivery to the Miami River
- 9Beach is a lounge/restaurant/bar hailing from the Holy Land
- Small plates and alfresco vibes at Deck Sixteen
- Outrageous desserts and American classics at Sugar Factory
- Red Ginger rolls sushi and izakaya small plates in SoFi