Opa-Locka Community Development Corporation hosts The Art of Transformation
Celebrate the transformation of Opa-Locka at this fundraiser for the Opa-Locka Community Development Corporation with hostess Tracey Wilson-Mourning.
The Art of Transformation: Celebrating the new Opa-Locka
Nov. 15, 7-11 p.m.
Opa-locka Executive Airport, Private Hangar 51, 14933 NW 41st Ave, Opa-Locka,
$75 per person
Big things are afoot in Opa-Locka thanks to the Opa-Locka Community Development Corporation's (OLCDC) continuing initiatives to revitalize the area with public art projects, construction and efforts preserve the city's characteristic Moorish revival architecture. The organization hosts its second annual fundraising event to celebrate their ambitious plans to turn Opa-Locka into an artistic hub this Friday at a private hangar at the Opa-Locka Executive Airport. Guests will enjoy hors d'oeuvres, open bar sponsored by Bacardi, Barefoot Wine & Bubbly and dance to music by DJ Soul Proof and Andre Soul. Mistress of Ceremonies Tracey Wilson-Mourning will host the event.
The fundraiser also offers an opportunity to preview an exhibit by renowned New York-based photographer Hunter Barnes, who will be presenting portraits from his September residency in Opa-Locka. The photographer was invited by the OLCDC to Opa-Locka to capture the spirit of the residents. Barnes stayed in one of the OLCDC’s residences in Magnolia North (formerly known as the “Triangle”) for two weeks and his work (like Opa-locka Times Square, 2013, pictured) will be showcased in a public exhibition in Opa-Locka.
Guests can also enjoy an architectural installation by Germane Barnes, live painting, pop-up performances by multidisciplinary artists, a performance by hip-hop/jazz/funk mash-up duo Black Violin and other entertainment.
See and Do
- Holiday parades, princess parties & a local gift guide: Munchkin Fun's top weekly picks
- Holiday events in Miami
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Dec. 12-14
- Outré Theatre makes its move to Fort Lauderdale with ‘Othello’
- Cirque du Soleil brings its fem-centric show, 'Amaluna,' to Sun Life Stadium
- Seminole Hard Rock Winterfest Boat Parade floats into Broward this Saturday
- Holiday dance, theater and music favorites to make the season merry
- ‘Book of Mormon’ walks its fine line, this time at the Arsht Center
- Princess parties, superheroes & gingerbread houses: Munchkin Fun's Top picks for Dec 8-12
- #HowToMiami - Street Art