Opa-Locka Community Development Corporation hosts The Art of Transformation
Celebrate the transformation of Opa-Locka at this fundraiser for the Opa-Locka Community Development Corporation with hostess Tracey Wilson-Mourning.
Big things are afoot in Opa-Locka thanks to the Opa-Locka Community Development Corporation's (OLCDC) continuing initiatives to revitalize the area with public art projects, construction and efforts preserve the city's characteristic Moorish revival architecture. The organization hosts its second annual fundraising event to celebrate their ambitious plans to turn Opa-Locka into an artistic hub this Friday at a private hangar at the Opa-Locka Executive Airport. Guests will enjoy hors d'oeuvres, open bar sponsored by Bacardi, Barefoot Wine & Bubbly and dance to music by DJ Soul Proof and Andre Soul. Mistress of Ceremonies Tracey Wilson-Mourning will host the event.
The fundraiser also offers an opportunity to preview an exhibit by renowned New York-based photographer Hunter Barnes, who will be presenting portraits from his September residency in Opa-Locka. The photographer was invited by the OLCDC to Opa-Locka to capture the spirit of the residents. Barnes stayed in one of the OLCDC’s residences in Magnolia North (formerly known as the “Triangle”) for two weeks and his work (like Opa-locka Times Square, 2013, pictured) will be showcased in a public exhibition in Opa-Locka.
Guests can also enjoy an architectural installation by Germane Barnes, live painting, pop-up performances by multidisciplinary artists, a performance by hip-hop/jazz/funk mash-up duo Black Violin and other entertainment.
The Art of Transformation: Celebrating the new Opa-Locka
Nov. 15, 7-11 p.m.
Opa-locka Executive Airport, Private Hangar 51, 14933 NW 41st Ave, Opa-Locka,
$75 per person
See and Do
- 5 kinds of guys you'll wind up meeting in Miami's dating scene
- So you think you can dance? Prove it on National Dance Day with the Miami City Ballet
- 7 things you must taste when in Miami
- 9 Instagram-Worthy Photo Opps in Miami
- 10 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - July 22-24
- Things we discovered on a 74-mile car trip on the Tamiami Trail from Miami to Naples
- Finding craft beer at Miami sports venues
- 9 events you can't miss in Miami - August 2016
- 9 weird things you see in Miami
- Are these are the best places in Miami to propose to your loved one?