OMG, another burger place arrives
5748 Sunset Dr, South Miami
Hours: 10:30am-midnight Sunday-Thursday, until 2am Friday and Saturday
Prices: Burgers and other sandwiches $4-$6, fries $2.50, Caesar salad $7
Has the texting abbreviation OMG become so commonplace that it's ceased to be a superlative? That seems to be the case at OMG! Burgers, the new fast-food, cooked-to-order burger spot that has replaced Qdoba Mexican Grill across from Sunset Place in South Miami.
I was prepared to be wowed and I was, indeed, surprised when my burger finally made it to my table. It had two patties instead of one. No one on the smiling-but-silent counter crew clued me in to the OMG lingo (a "junior" burger is one patty, a burger is two, an OMG burger is three). And the burgers were so thin, charred and juiceless, they deserved less flattering exclamations. Our small package of fries - overcooked and under-salted - was similarly disappointing.
Some bright spots: The sesame seed buns are fresh; the free toppings are plentiful. (Ketchup, mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomato, red onion, sautéed onions, barbecue sauce, potato sticks, A1 sauce and hot sauce are among the choices.) The simple menu also offers grilled hot dogs (split and topped with melted cheese), chili, salad, two chicken sandwiches and Misha's Cupcakes.
But if OMG! wants to stand out from a burger pack that includes Five Guys, Fatburger, One Burger and Shake Shack, it's going to have to up its game.
- Aventura Mall's Bloomingdale’s cafe offers a break from shopping craze
- Makis Place adds more sushi to the Grove
- Bite into grab-and-go gourmet at Fort Lauderdale's Rumi
- Pao Town brings Asian street food to Coral Gables
- Stay in with homey Colombian fare from Davie's La Placita
- Stay in with grilled cheese from Mr. Cheezious
- Stay in with healthy fast food at Fort Lauderdale's Energy Kitchen
- BBQ, margaritas and music await at Brother Jimmy's in South Miami
- Agave Mexican serves Mexican fusion in Deerfield Beach
- Hallandale’s HomeTown Buffet is a buffet bonanza