OH & MD-based Paladar Latin Kitchen & Rum Bar opening Nov. at Gulfstream
Expect "freshly interpreted" Latin American cuisine & over 50 kinds of rum
"Paladar isn't a traditional Latin restaurant," says Andy Himmel, co-president of Paladar Latin Kitchen & Rum Bar, opening in November at the Village of Gulfstream Park in that now defunct space across from Yard House. He's got that right. A South Florida Latin American cuisine'd restaurant hailing from Ohio is like a Peoria-originated Chinese restaurant opening in Shanghai. But that's not why this isn't your typical Latin restaurant, says Himmel. "It's a new experience," he says.
That experience includes over 50 kinds of rum and a menu "inspired by flavors, ingredients, and dishes from Central & South America, Cuba and the Caribbean."
On that menu: Plantain Crusted Crab Croquetas, crispy crab fritters with sweet & crunchy mango jicama slaw and key lime mustard sauce;Spiced Coconut Milk Steamed Mussels, Prince Edward Island mussels steamed in a savory coconut broth with crumbled spicy chorizo sausage; Jamaican Curried Shrimp, sweet and savory coconut curry sauce slowly simmered with shrimp, chorizo sausage, plantains, bell peppers, onions, and fresh herbs over brown rice & red beans; "Ocho Hora" Braised Short Rib, tender short rib braised for eight hours in Caribbean jus, served with smoky grits, sautéed spinach, and crispy onion garnish; Tamarind BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich, Tender pulled pork tossed with our Tamarind BBQ sauce, topped with tangy Salvadorian slaw and dill pickles on a toasted brioche bun; Paladar’s Blackened Fish Tacos, adobo-rubbed tilapia, tangy pickled onion and sweet pineapple slaw, cabbage, and cilantro adobo aioli.
Hours will be Sunday through Thursday from 11am to 11pm and Friday and Saturday from 11am to 1am. Brunch will be served on Saturday and Sunday from 11am to 3pm. Takeout and catering will be available.
- David's Cafe on Collins closing after 37 years
- Blackbrick Brings on the Brunch
- Pubbelly introduces PB Fish, a seafood pop-up at PB Steak starting April 8
- AQ by Acqualina, featuring Dewey LoSasso & Hiro's Yakko San
- Mansion morphing into "Miami-style country western line dancing" club with Blue Collar's Danny Serfer serving "large plates"
- Las Olas hot spot American Social opening in ex Waxy O'Connor's space
- Allen Susser's Daily Melt grilling the cheese up in Fort Lauderdale on April 1
- Brewery Ommegang's HopChef competition heads to Miami in April
- Nina Compton cooks at Swine Southern Table & Bar on April 24
- Loba, "Latin spice and Southern Comfort" coming to Biscayne Blvd.