Office Space star Stephen Root to talk at UM
Feel free to call him Milton. Thirteen years after Office Space came out, Stephen Root’s used to being compared to the cubicle drone whose only joy in life is his stapler. But the character actor has many other varied roles to chat about. Which is what he will do 8 p.m. Tuesday at the University of Miami Fieldhouse, 1245 Dauer Dr., Coral Gables.
In “An Evening With Actor Stephen Root,” the Vero Beach native and University of Florida graduate will conduct a Q&A and show clips from some of his most beloved movies (J. Edgar, No Country for Old Men, Dodgeball: An Underdog Story) and TV shows (NewsRadio, True Blood, The Good Wife, Boardwalk Empire).
The event is part of the school’s “Taking Flight: The Year of the Humanities and the Arts” program. Still, with all his success, Root, 60, would advise young people against entering showbiz. “I didn’t get into it to be famous. I got into it to be a working actor,’’ he says from the UM campus, preparing his speech. “If you don’t mind slogging through crappy jobs for years then go ahead, please do it.”
RSVP a must: www.as.miami.edu/rsvp-stephenroot
On Our Radar
- Glamorous red carpet for Miss Universe
- Christian Slater shows up at party
- Shaq: from basketball to law enforcement
- Amber Rose makes a splash in Miami
- Shannen Doherty talks new reality show
- Brazilian soccer star keeps the party going
- Joanna Krupa suing fellow Housewives star
- Magic Johnson at book appearance
- Justin Bieber misses another hearing
- Local attorney helps Linda Hogan