Now cooking: the Latin-influenced Social Club at Kimpton's Surfcomber Hotel
Surfcomber's front-of-house restaurant features nostalgic Latin fare
Social Club at Kimpton's Surfcomber Hotel
1717 Collins Avenue
Although he's cooking up Southeast Asian cuisine at Lantao Kitchen, chef Freddy Ortiz gets to cook a little nostalgia in the form of his new kitchen/menu at the Kimpton Surfcomber's front-of-house restaurant, Social Club. "Nostalgia makes everyone happy," Ortiz says, showcasing his favorite childhood recipes including pastelon de platanos, which uses ripe plantains and seasoned turkey to replicate good 'ol lasagna. Ortiz's Ultimate Cuban Sandwich features slow roasted pork, Serrano ham and cumin chorizo spread on bread sourced from a bakery using the traditional method of dough encased in banana leaf; his coconut flan is made with his grandmother's recipe. And while Ortiz is cooking up his own memories, Social Club's so-called "Bar Chef" Chad Phillips is shaking up some of his own in the form of his St. Louis-inspired "Feels Like Home" cocktail--Nolet's gin, Fernet Bramca, Cynar and Carpano Antica."
- Coya Miami opening Thursday, February 19
- 3.5 star review can't keep 27 open; Broken Shaker, restaurant shut temporarily at Freehand
- Wynwood Diner opening in March
- Chef Jeremiah opening in Aventura Mall & joining Grant Achatz's restaurant rez system Tock
- BREAKING: Hedy Goldsmith leaving The Genuine Hospitality Group, relocating to LA
- STK's 'more accessible' sibling STK Rebel opening in downtown Miami
- Crumb on Parchment alum Nicole Votano tapped as Fooq's executive chef
- Chef Art Smith is giving away #101GayWeddings at James Royal Palm during #SOBEWFF
- Lucky Strike bowling lanes on Miami Beach closes; Trader Joe's moving in?
- Armadillo Cafe to open in Boca Raton