Now cooking: the Latin-influenced Social Club at Kimpton's Surfcomber Hotel
Surfcomber's front-of-house restaurant features nostalgic Latin fare
Social Club at Kimpton's Surfcomber Hotel
1717 Collins Avenue
Although he's cooking up Southeast Asian cuisine at Lantao Kitchen, chef Freddy Ortiz gets to cook a little nostalgia in the form of his new kitchen/menu at the Kimpton Surfcomber's front-of-house restaurant, Social Club. "Nostalgia makes everyone happy," Ortiz says, showcasing his favorite childhood recipes including pastelon de platanos, which uses ripe plantains and seasoned turkey to replicate good 'ol lasagna. Ortiz's Ultimate Cuban Sandwich features slow roasted pork, Serrano ham and cumin chorizo spread on bread sourced from a bakery using the traditional method of dough encased in banana leaf; his coconut flan is made with his grandmother's recipe. And while Ortiz is cooking up his own memories, Social Club's so-called "Bar Chef" Chad Phillips is shaking up some of his own in the form of his St. Louis-inspired "Feels Like Home" cocktail--Nolet's gin, Fernet Bramca, Cynar and Carpano Antica."
- Executive Chef Wanted: E. Michael Reidt out at Area 31
- Social media stalking travel app names Perricone's as Miami's #1 restaurant
- As the Rumor Mill Churns: Il Mulino to South Beach & a blind item
- Umami Burger South Beach opening at 11 a.m. May 10
- Cipriani opening Friday, May 10
- Area 31 expands outdoor terrace while indoors gets a revamp
- World of Beer Midtown opening May 6
- Michael Mina reportedly opening second Miami restaurant in the Fontainebleau
- STK Miami closed for a "disco nap"
- A new chocolate/ wine shop in the works from Buena Vista Bistro/Deli duo