Now cooking: the Latin-influenced Social Club at Kimpton's Surfcomber Hotel
Surfcomber's front-of-house restaurant features nostalgic Latin fare
Social Club at Kimpton's Surfcomber Hotel
1717 Collins Avenue
Although he's cooking up Southeast Asian cuisine at Lantao Kitchen, chef Freddy Ortiz gets to cook a little nostalgia in the form of his new kitchen/menu at the Kimpton Surfcomber's front-of-house restaurant, Social Club. "Nostalgia makes everyone happy," Ortiz says, showcasing his favorite childhood recipes including pastelon de platanos, which uses ripe plantains and seasoned turkey to replicate good 'ol lasagna. Ortiz's Ultimate Cuban Sandwich features slow roasted pork, Serrano ham and cumin chorizo spread on bread sourced from a bakery using the traditional method of dough encased in banana leaf; his coconut flan is made with his grandmother's recipe. And while Ortiz is cooking up his own memories, Social Club's so-called "Bar Chef" Chad Phillips is shaking up some of his own in the form of his St. Louis-inspired "Feels Like Home" cocktail--Nolet's gin, Fernet Bramca, Cynar and Carpano Antica."
- Kevin Cory transforms NAOE sibling into N Shabu Shabu
- Alinea in Residence comes to Miami: Chef Grant Achatz to pop up at Faena Miami Beach
- Former Miami restaurant owner Joshua Woodward pleaded no contest Friday to attempted murder for trying to induce a miscarriage
- Jose Garces planning Miami restaurant
- Update: CANCELED Brooklyn's Pies 'n' Thighs pops up at the Mondrian
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz is out at the Raleigh Hotel on South Beach
- Raleigh on the sale rack and Restaurant Michael Schwartz out?
- Luther Campbell hosts dinner party at Mignonette on November 11
- Chef Jeremiah & Roel Alcudia team up on gastroDobo, a 1-night Filipino pop-up in Wynwood
- GK Bistronomie bringing 'globally inspired Peruvian' cuisine to Wynwood