Now cooking: the Latin-influenced Social Club at Kimpton's Surfcomber Hotel
Surfcomber's front-of-house restaurant features nostalgic Latin fare
Social Club at Kimpton's Surfcomber Hotel
1717 Collins Avenue
Although he's cooking up Southeast Asian cuisine at Lantao Kitchen, chef Freddy Ortiz gets to cook a little nostalgia in the form of his new kitchen/menu at the Kimpton Surfcomber's front-of-house restaurant, Social Club. "Nostalgia makes everyone happy," Ortiz says, showcasing his favorite childhood recipes including pastelon de platanos, which uses ripe plantains and seasoned turkey to replicate good 'ol lasagna. Ortiz's Ultimate Cuban Sandwich features slow roasted pork, Serrano ham and cumin chorizo spread on bread sourced from a bakery using the traditional method of dough encased in banana leaf; his coconut flan is made with his grandmother's recipe. And while Ortiz is cooking up his own memories, Social Club's so-called "Bar Chef" Chad Phillips is shaking up some of his own in the form of his St. Louis-inspired "Feels Like Home" cocktail--Nolet's gin, Fernet Bramca, Cynar and Carpano Antica."
- David's Cafe on Collins closing after 37 years
- Blackbrick Brings on the Brunch
- Pubbelly introduces PB Fish, a seafood pop-up at PB Steak starting April 8
- AQ by Acqualina, featuring Dewey LoSasso & Hiro's Yakko San
- Mansion morphing into "Miami-style country western line dancing" club with Blue Collar's Danny Serfer serving "large plates"
- Las Olas hot spot American Social opening in ex Waxy O'Connor's space
- Allen Susser's Daily Melt grilling the cheese up in Fort Lauderdale on April 1
- Brewery Ommegang's HopChef competition heads to Miami in April
- Nina Compton cooks at Swine Southern Table & Bar on April 24
- Loba, "Latin spice and Southern Comfort" coming to Biscayne Blvd.